Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Photo contest

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Anyone besides myself think the idea might work here? The proposal would be, the winner of the last contest pics three pic ideas for the next contest, and people have a week to vote on those three items. From that, people then have the next week to vote on the submitted pics. Then the process repeats. Maybe, if interest is slow,make it two weeks and if for whatever reason there are no submissions, or just one, bend that time limit as needed. Pics should be your original and not anyone elses, fairly recent, and with minimal retouching (it's a photo contest, not a test of who can edit a turd into gold). Limit it to brightness, contrast, cropping, saturation, color balance. Pic can only be used once. Minimize comments in the pic submission thread (ie, don't pump up emotion, let the pic do the talking).

Thoughts? Or would it all be just a waste of time with no participation?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Or subject like bridges, reflections, water, towers, old houses, sculptures, lights, street scenes, to name a few. And this is where the competition kicks in, as the guy who won it gets to propose the three topics. He may already have a winning pic in the back of his mind, he proposes, and it win, and people like it and he wins again, well, that guy is probably pretty good at photography and he may well be tough competition. This also get's back to people not going off the deep end editing their pics. Photography is art, let the art that the majority find awesome win the contest and encourage others to take the trophy from anyone who has exceptional skills. It's supposed to be a fun thing. :)

*But it does take people to want to make it happen. And you don't need as $1000 camera to participate.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is there an objective to this, or just bragging rights that you won???

I've often thought the TOTM should be in the banner...or at least the TOTY if it's that big of a hassle to change. I think the banner has been the same for the 8 years I've been a member...haha.

That's a good idea Bill - Doug i think that having Franks 'burb in Duncan's driveway was the start of his defordification ..... delay's in getting his new work van and the rental of a vehicle that we won't name here smilieteasesmilietease

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I swear to jeebus if I ever find that picture Doug will know immediately

I'm not against the idea, just afraid it would go on for a short time and fizzle out like so many other things.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I swear to jeebus if I ever find that picture Doug will know immediately

I'm not against the idea, just afraid it would go on for a short time and fizzle out like so many other things.

:rofl2: :rofl2: Can we have a sheep category? smilietease

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Is there an objective to this, or just bragging rights that you won???

The idea is to have some fun and give people something to do and to talk about. If a person finds that their personal agenda is to win for the sole purpose of "bragging", then they have issues that the contest itself can't resolve.

-------------

That was my only concern. I toyed with even bringing this subject up for the last two plus weeks, we'll see where it goes.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The idea is to have some fun and give people something to do and to talk about. If a person finds that their personal agenda is to win for the sole purpose of "bragging", then they have issues that the contest itself can't resolve.

-------------

That was my only concern. I toyed with even bringing this subject up for the last two plus weeks, we'll see where it goes.

I guess I'm curious what makes it a contest then, and differentiates it from any other thread/post that someone can rep if they like it enough. In my time here, the only active polls I've seen is how to say 'mauve' and how long Austin will keep a car...beyond that, you're lucky to get 7 votes over the course of a month.

I enter photo contest all the time on my rc forums,but they have to be rc
related.The person who runs it will lay down of what the photo has to be
about.
Example:The photo you see as my sig was entered in a photo contest,The
photo had to be of sillouet photo.
The winner usually receives a prize that is usually the stickers of the
name of the forum or a coffee mug,or a t-shirt with the forum logo...smilieFordlogo

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I guess I'm curious what makes it a contest then, and differentiates it from any other thread/post that someone can rep if they like it enough. In my time here, the only active polls I've seen is how to say 'mauve' and how long Austin will keep a car...beyond that, you're lucky to get 7 votes over the course of a month.

It's a contest in that the previous winner picks three topics for the next contest, then members vote on them, picking the one they like the best, then members submit their pics, then members vote for the pic they like the best. It's not a free for all, the submitted pics need to be FOR THE TOPIC and enforcement can be either to delete it or, for those that vote on the pics to obviously not vote for the pic submitted by the member that isn't adhering to the guidelines. Really, this is pretty simple and it has nothing intended to do with reps or lack of.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA

It's a contest in that the previous winner picks three topics for the next contest, then members vote on them, picking the one they like the best, then members submit their pics, then members vote for the pic they like the best. It's not a free for all, the submitted pics need to be FOR THE TOPIC and enforcement can be either to delete it or, for those that vote on the pics to obviously not vote for the pic submitted by the member that isn't adhering to the guidelines. Really, this is pretty simple and it has nothing intended to do with reps or lack of. I don't understand how the concept of a simple, fun contest could be confusing, there are no ulterior motives to it. It's supposed to be fun.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That explanation at least clears it up a little more. I don't think anyone/anything is stopping you. There have been things like that in the past...way back when Bob (can't remember his last name) was still around. Still don't think there would be enough activity for folks to post pics for the sake of posting pics though...especially with 'rules'.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Well darn, looks like the fun and the idea never had a chance......:shakehead:

Ford Truck Articles