Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake ?

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Looks like the rear brake cylinders will work but the fronts are different as are the master cylinders.

Just my two cents if you are thinking about swapping from a parts truck, no more expensive than they are, I think I would just get known new correct parts or rebuild the current ones.smiliegitrdone

Looks like the rear brake cylinders will work but the fronts are different as are the master cylinders.

Just my two cents if you are thinking about swapping from a parts truck, no more expensive than they are, I think I would just get known new correct parts or rebuild the current ones.smiliegitrdone

Ok,thnx.

I'm not swapping old brake parts!
Lol.....I was going to get them on auction on ebay,they are new!

Fellro

Staff member
I find that rear cylinders are largely commonly available, but fronts tend not to be so much for some reason...

And as far as part numbers go, they are not a match. However, they are available from places like Rock Auto.

I find that rear cylinders are largely commonly available, but fronts tend not to be so much for some reason...

And as far as part numbers go, they are not a match. However, they are available from places like Rock Auto.

Thnx.

I have one that's bleeding alittle an I know that all of them are going
to have to be replaced sooner or later.

I'm getting a master cylinder kit an they had some wheel kits ,but they
are of a year or 2 difference.

They claim they fit my year ,but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Thanx Guy's!..:)

Fellro

Staff member
Well, I have also found that 76 Chevy and 75 Ford rear 3/4 ton wheel cylinders interchange as well, so you never know. st isn't a good way to know if they will or not. Mostly physical dimensions, bolt up, and pipe hookup are the things that need to be the same. Now if it is just a rebuild kit, bore is the important question. As such, I see that the bore on the 68 is 1 1/8", while the 73 has 1 1/16" bore.

Well, I have also found that 76 Chevy and 75 Ford rear 3/4 ton wheel cylinders interchange as well, so you never know. st isn't a good way to know if they will or not. Mostly physical dimensions, bolt up, and pipe hookup are the things that need to be the same. Now if it is just a rebuild kit, bore is the important question. As such, I see that the bore on the 68 is 1 1/8", while the 73 has 1 1/16" bore.

I just ordered the master kit.

I just looked at rock auto ,so I will just order the brake cylinders
from them.They where surprisingly cheap ,same price where I was
looking.

Thanks for suggesting rock auto!..smilieFordlogo

I put a master cylinder kit in today...Lol
I was wondering what those xtra parts where ,the little o-way valves &
spring that go inside behind the brake line fittings ,they were rotted.
I replaced those as well.

Overall ,it feels good not to have to pump the brakes 3 or 4 times!...
It brakes nice an easy as soon as I start pushing on the brakes an
holds solid.....
So that what they should feel like!....:D

I put a master cylinder kit in today...Lol
I was wondering what those xtra parts where ,the little o-way valves &
spring that go inside behind the brake line fittings ,they were rotted.
I replaced those as well.

Overall ,it feels good not to have to pump the brakes 3 or 4 times!...
It brakes nice an easy as soon as I start pushing on the brakes an
holds solid.....
So that what they should feel like!....:D

It sounds like you have this covered already, but for the benefit of a future google searcher, I purchased all of my brake cylinders, soft lines, drums, and spring kits new at o'reilley's auto parts. (You will need an old school machine shop or a swage cutter to separate the front drum from the hub. If replacing the drums) Their water pump was awesome too! It came pre clear coated to prevent rust, not bare like many of the other chains. 68 - 72 are the same. 73 gets different. Each wheel uses a different cylinder due to the position of the incoming line and bleeder and the fact that the front is a beefier setup.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have this covered already, but for the benefit of a future google searcher, I purchased all of my brake cylinders, soft lines, drums, and spring kits new at o'reilley's auto parts. (You will need an old school machine shop or a swage cutter to separate the front drum from the hub. If replacing the drums) Their water pump was awesome too! It came pre clear coated to prevent rust, not bare like many of the other chains. 68 - 72 are the same. 73 gets different. Each wheel uses a different cylinder due to the position of the incoming line and bleeder and the fact that the front is a beefier setup.

Thanx for that info!..YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts