Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Low pressure oil pump

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well my truck is still in the shop. Now for a primary oil pump. i went by today and the service writer told me that they had something ordered. he didn't know what. The tech was busy else where so i didn't want to bother him. I did go by my truck and take a look. The pump and cover was off. I saw some small scratches but nothing major. What would cause the primary pump to fail? I change my oil between 3 to 4k miles.

Bloodhound you say primary oil pump. The 6.0l has two oil pumps. A low and high pressure. I think you talking about the hight pressure pump which is in the top of the motor. I have heard of the coupler on the output of the high pressure going bad.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think you're talking about the front, right?. The small scratches in the front cover come from debris that the pickup tube sucked up in the pan. The debris scars up the cover and the gerotor gears disabling the pumps ability to feed the engine with enough oil.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I can tell you that overreving can blow the LPOP. :) Also, I got a spare one on a shelf in my garage. :D

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well after the did the heads on my truck the test drove it. When they got back to the shop the oil light was on at idle. The tech told me they hooked it up to the computer while test driving and could see the high pressure pump loosing pressure because of lack of oil. also he said truck wouldn't run but about 60mph. He said that he could back off the pressure on the high pressure pump and speed and power would pick up. I went by there Monday and they had the primary pump off. I looked at it and the cover had a few small scratches in it. I didn't get to talk to the tech because he was working on another truck and I didn't want to disturb him. They have had my truck for over a month now. I am verry confident with their work but I just can't wait to get my truck back.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well the parts for my truck won't be in untill next week. They have to come out of detroit and the hollidays are slowing them down.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
sorry to say but i am not buying that story. the base oil pumps on the diesel are more volume pumps than they are pressure. they are setup to feed more oil to the hpop. now with that being said and the fact you have a 04, i have seen many 03s and 04s (same design but 2 different part number pumps) lose icp when hot and do fine when cold. this in turn will lower engine idle which will lower base pressure/volume and in turn cause issues. the only front cover/lpop assemblies i have replaced have been due to no starts and NO base flow. i have never seen a no start/hard start/low power due to the base gears. im not saying it isnt possible i just havent seen it. i work on these trucks all day every day, and have not ran across one yet. by the way, some scratches are normal, its the gouges that are the problem.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
sorry to say but i am not buying that story. the base oil pumps on the diesel are more volume pumps than they are pressure. they are setup to feed more oil to the hpop. now with that being said and the fact you have a 04, i have seen many 03s and 04s (same design but 2 different part number pumps) lose icp when hot and do fine when cold. this in turn will lower engine idle which will lower base pressure/volume and in turn cause issues. the only front cover/lpop assemblies i have replaced have been due to no starts and NO base flow. i have never seen a no start/hard start/low power due to the base gears. im not saying it isnt possible i just havent seen it. i work on these trucks all day every day, and have not ran across one yet. by the way, some scratches are normal, its the gouges that are the problem.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I saw the pump. It has a few scratches but to my eyes nothing major. I don't know. you guys work on these things daily.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I saw the pump. It has a few scratches but to my eyes nothing major. I don't know. you guys work on these things daily.

Sounds more like your truck has a High Pressur Oil leak. This would fit much better with the symptoms the tech is seeing. My guess is that after your tech replaces the LPOP the problem will still exist. Then your tech will need to look for a HPO leak. If this is the case he needs to refer to TSB 08-18-6.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Talked to the tech again today. The oil pump and pressure regulator should be in wednesday. I am ready to get my truck back. Today makes 5 weeks that they have had it.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Talked to the tech again today. The oil pump and pressure regulator should be in wednesday. I am ready to get my truck back. Today makes 5 weeks that they have had it.

Sounds like next time you need to bring it out to me, atleast you'll have it back in 2 weeks lol!! smilietease

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Sounds more like your truck has a High Pressur Oil leak. This would fit much better with the symptoms the tech is seeing. My guess is that after your tech replaces the LPOP the problem will still exist. Then your tech will need to look for a HPO leak. If this is the case he needs to refer to TSB 08-18-6.

Bingo. I went by today to see how things were coming. they have the motor apart to install a high pressure pump. I may have it back tomorrow but I am not holding my breath. :headbang:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Bingo. I went by today to see how things were coming. they have the motor apart to install a high pressure pump. I may have it back tomorrow but I am not holding my breath. :headbang:

Sounds like the tech is throwing parts at it. After the HPOP is replaced the tech really needs to perform TSB 08-18-6 (basically a thorough test of the HPO system with air test).

Also the tech needs to replace the STC bracket with the latest up date (version "C"): STC bracket kit (4C3Z-9B246-C).

I would specifically ask the tech if he is performing TSB 08-18-6

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Blackhat I will ask. The dealer is about 10 min from my house. I will go shortly. One thing about it. I'll have a lot of new parts.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I stopped back by the dealership. They are going to do the tsb. They are changing out the high pressure pump now. He told me that the pump was leaking on the low pressure side. The tech said that I should be able to get my truck tomorrow. I hope so.

Ford Truck Articles