Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0L Egr Valve Cleaning Procedure Black Smoke P0401 P0402 P0404

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
In this video I go over the proper cleaning procedure for the 6.0l Egr Valve. These valve are prone to sticking in the open or closed positions due to sticky carbon common on these engines. Even with all the pcm calibration improvements this is still a common issue. Here I show you how Ford taught us to clean them before they pulled the TSB procedure.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I just used Brake parts cleaner, wire brush and purple power to soak it in. Seemed to work for me. Came out all shiny. When I was done I put some electrical grease in the plugs spot and plugged it back in.. seems to be working great.

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
I just used Brake parts cleaner, wire brush and purple power to soak it in. Seemed to work for me. Came out all shiny. When I was done I put some electrical grease in the plugs spot and plugged it back in.. seems to be working great.

Yeah it all just depends on how caked it is, some of they are a sticky oily carboned up mess and the carb cleaner really melts it off.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Yeah it all just depends on how caked it is, some of they are a sticky oily carboned up mess and the carb cleaner really melts it off.

IMG-20140308-00709_zps887e8c8d.jpg

mine was kinda gooey and sticky... kinda like tar...

IMG-20140308-00708_zpsaa14452c.jpg

intake didnt look much better... reason it got outside the intake was there was no leak lined exhaust like gasket sitting between the valve seat and intake surface

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
IMG-20140308-00709_zps887e8c8d.jpg

mine was kinda gooey and sticky... kinda like tar...

IMG-20140308-00708_zpsaa14452c.jpg

intake didnt look much better... reason it got outside the intake was there was no leak lined exhaust like gasket sitting between the valve seat and intake surface

Wow that is bad especially because it leaked out what a mess!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Wow that is bad especially because it leaked out what a mess!

yep.. im hoping when i pull it again come march it wont look nasty inside the EGR cooler... if it does.. something will disappear... :wasntme:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Shawn owns the How not to take care of a truck before you sell it to the new guy "adventure"truck

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
lol pretty much... PO lack of maintaining kicking my butt...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Yall Need new coolers. Probably oil and egr...lol

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts