Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear axle trailing arms

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I am going to replace mine, and am trying to choose between OEM, and aftermarket. What do you guys think? The factory ones are known to rust out, even in non salt areas, something to do with the factory paint trapping moisture.

I can get OEM at $160 for a complete set:
$_12.JPG

I can get aftermarket at $260 for a complete set:
616rCRrEqwL._SL1500_.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Reviews seem good on them.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
What I am seeing is better than stock, and the same price. Want to know what is ridiculous? The dealer wants over $700 for the OEM parts that will just rust out again. :/

Vollig has a comparison between their arms, and other aftermarket arms here: http://www.autowado.com/expysourcevsvolligtrailingarms

Fellro

Staff member
I would definitely be hesitant to put the exact same thing back if you intend to keep it for a long time, and know it will be subjected to conditions that will give the same results.. The sealed tube aftermarket looks like a good way to go..

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I buy all my vehicles with the long run intent. ;)

This thing is in immaculate shape, body wise, so I will be doing everything I can to keep it in good mechanical shape, as well. I have a rear axle seal that is leaking now, so I am getting ready to do bearings, seals and brakes on the rear since I will have it all apart, even though the brakes are still OK. I have a bad case of might-as-well-itis.

These arms are just stupid, because I can crawl under the rest of the truck, and everything else looks perfect (perfect enough for a 15 year old truck) The only thing that is rusting out are those arms. It is just stupid. I recommend every expedition owner to check out their lower and upper arms, you don't want your axle falling off going down the highway. ;)

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
1999 and 4x4

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles