Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Chain and Sprokets Replaced/Still Timing Issue

Thats what I was thinking,but my ? would be about the lifters,are they
solid or hydralic,if they are hydraulic,are they good?
I dont know everything about engines,but I know that if theres a bad lifter,
or a flat lobe on a cam,it could create a problem that some people might think
its in the timing.which could have been the problem all along..:)

Hydraulic. Yep, was hearing something for awhile, loud click, metal thump. :( More wrong possibilities. But the lifters are all moving as should when turning crank (since heads and intake manifold off, so far smooth).

When heads were on, even after plugs out, the tightness when turning crank was not consistent, but in sections around the cycle, like something with heads causing a sluggish sticking (felt really tight on some of the strokes).

Also while inspecting heads myself with a light, noticed some small amounts of coolant floating around in some of the intake and exhaust valve chambers. Hope that got in there from from me taking them off and moving them around. But the coolant passage ways do look very corroded, or like oil and coolant mixing? And was some rust in those passage ways. :(

Going to take them to a machine shop like suggested, but not looking good. But hopefully will not be as bad as I am thinking.

Agree that this was not with timing at all now, just seemed that way from the sound of it. And chain is a little loose on both sides, not just the left, but if ok for a little slack, then I will leave it be.

Hydraulic. Yep, was hearing something for awhile, loud click, metal thump. :( More wrong possibilities. But the lifters are all moving as should when turning crank (since heads and intake manifold off, so far smooth).

When heads were on, even after plugs out, the tightness when turning crank was not consistent, but in sections around the cycle, like something with heads causing a sluggish sticking (felt really tight on some of the strokes).

Also while inspecting heads myself with a light, noticed some small amounts of coolant floating around in some of the intake and exhaust valve chambers. Hope that got in there from from me taking them off and moving them around. But the coolant passage ways do look very corroded, or like oil and coolant mixing? And was some rust in those passage ways. :(

Going to take them to a machine shop like suggested, but not looking good. But hopefully will not be as bad as I am thinking.

Agree that this was not with timing at all now, just seemed that way from the sound of it. And chain is a little loose on both sides, not just the left, but if ok for a little slack, then I will leave it be.

Well,I had acouple pickups that had a dead cylinder.One was a 351 c,
it had a sunken valve,but it was easy to diagnose the cylinder by pulling
the plug wire,so I took the heads off an took in an the head shop done
them up.
An one truck with a 350 chevy had a flat lobe,it popped an sputtered
back through the carb.I kept running it like that until finally the rocker
arm snapped.I replaced the cam in it.
Dont know if this is your case,but however,you could have sticky valve,
or even a lifter that only pumps up some of the time like a hit an miss
thing.
I also had one truck that was missing real bad,an come to find out,it
was the base gasket on the carb. leaking.
Maybe this might help narrow things down...Good luck!..:)

Ford Truck Articles