Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

High winding sound when pushing gas pedal

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So on my wifeys Expi, this just started happening:

When pushing on the gas a little harder than normal (like going uphill or just about to downshift and of course hard enough to when it downshifts) it has a high pitch winding sound. Almost like gears slipping. It doesn't do it if I'm just cruising down the road at any speed, 30 or 60 and just pushing the gas pedal so slightly to keep me going, but the moment I push hard enough to get going again or to pass someone, or to go uphill, that winding noise comes.

I tried putting it in 4Auto, 4HI to see if that makes a difference and it didn't.

Any thoughts before my mechanic looks at it?

Thanks,

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap' 'toetap'

Any help?

:wasntme:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
As soon as my mechanic comes in, I'll have him check it out, but not sure when he's scheduled back?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

blacksnapon

Staff member
how's your power steering?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
how's your power steering?
Actually the rack and pinion/hose just got replace last week and it's working great.....no noises, no jetting sensation.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The power steering pumps are notorious for noise.

Thanks! When we bought it from the PO, he told me that the only things he ever had done to it (under warranty - why he was selling it, he only keeps vehicles that are under warranty and when they run out, he sells them) was have the power steering pump and AC compressor replaced.

Not sure on that model but some the air baffle to the intake would jar loose and make a sound like that.

I will definitely look into that, whatever it is.....is that the manifold you're talking about when you say intake? Cause we had one manifold replaced when we did the rack and pinion because it needed to be done for inspection.

Thanks Randy!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
T

I will definitely look into that, whatever it is.....is that the manifold you're talking about when you say intake? Cause we had one manifold replaced when we did the rack and pinion because it needed to be done for inspection.

Thanks Randy!

No the fresh air intake tube that goes into the air filter box they would dislodge and make a noise from the air going over it.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
if it hadnt been you said it does it while sitting i would have said rear end.. mine screamed when the pinion walked and busted the teeth off.. but only did it on accel and decel too...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
THANKS FELLAS!!!

So, still not sure what it was, but it's gone now! :suspicious:

I did what Randy suggested and opened up the air cleaner box and everything looked fine. So I put it back and that was that! Weird.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So you say it's a grinding, not a whistle?

Ryan

It sounded like a grinding, but I didn't feel anything in the pedals and it could have been mistaken for a flapping noise.....I almost discounted the grinding noise cause it didn't happen when the truck was going at normal speeds, just when it accelerated.

Ford Truck Articles