Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HFCM - Changed Out Due To Fuel Pump Failure

Any filter that bypasses at any time is not doing its job. And who can say that there filter is not nearly clogged after just 1,000 miles. The only true way to check is to check flow rate of the filter. Witch can not be done by the naked eye.

Monitoring your fuel pressure is almost as good as flow measurement (as well as - change the filters at 10k, and fill-up at high volume stations).

On trips (where you sometimes can not get picky about fuel stations) I go so far as to carry a jar w/ me so I can put the fuel in a clear container and visually inspect it before filling. I had a bad fuel experience once w/ a 6.9L. I really do not want that w/ this engine.

Last edited:
Pressure drop across the filter, while not a direct measurement of flow(you need a graph to correlate flow vs D/P), will give you pressure difference across the filter. That would require a pressure measurement on both the inlet and outlet of the filter.

On a related note....
There are a few other indications I would like to monitor on this engine as well:
1) A real oil pressure indication
2) Temperature of coolant into and out of EGR/Oil Cooler
3) EGR Cooler shell temperature

That is all I can think of right now.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Not knowing anything about theis new filter and what it does or does not do, I have a few questions or assumptions.....

1) The old filter design, if clogged I guess allowed unfiltered fuel to get by... but keep in mind, there is a secondary fuel filter with a lower micron level still protecting your injectors.

2) The new filter design, will prevent this "blow by"... so with low or no fuel pressure, you will ruin your injectors or it will stop your truck dead?

Personally... change your filters every 10,000 - 15,000 miles (I do every 15,000 miles)... and you will not have a problem. If your clogging up filters before then... you have a bad storage tank, alge or some other problem.

If people read their manuals and changed filters (oil and fuel) on time... the number of problems reported or posted would be a lot less!!! Frankly, if people can't afford the cost to use OEM filters and do it on time... then they never should have bought a Super Duty truck to begin with.

There are to many younger adults buying trucks they can not afford... they get a loan and then can't pay for the maintanence for their trucks... and this is after they spend money on performance mods (I am just making a general statement obviously)..... but I get really tired of people bashing their dealers, bashing Ford for a bad design or not paying for warrenty work.

Personally, the coolant filter is the best and should be owner's first mod to install. This is/was a poor over-sight by Int'l and Ford due to the casting sand left in the block when made.

Aside from that... **** happens and GM and Dodge have their issues to.

I have developed a great relationship with my dealer and they work with me on everything I need and I get many favors in return for my loyalty.

I now have 162,000 miles on my 2003 Excursion and all is well... or that can be expected for a truck with this many miles in 6 years.

I will use, without thinking twice, the old style fuel filter until I see more evidance of wide-spread success of the new design (I am sure it is OK, but why mess with success on the old design until I have to)?

Thanks,

Jeff

A 50,000 dollar pickup should not need any type of mod. It should be able to do the job with out problem.
And apparently some dont trust factory oil filters they add after market by- pass oil filter systems.
And then add a after market coolant filters. After all you payed 45,000 to 50,000 for a ford powerstroke. It should have all the filter in place that it needs and should be working at 100%. With out any mods. Ford motor company should have had it right the first time for that price. And that goes for Chevy , Dodge and Ford for the price they charge for the trucks they should be 100% and need no mods. And sounds like some people need to get out in the real world and try other dealers .There not all good and thats why some people wont drive there product. Its not the product its the dealer treating them like dumb ***.

I have one of those dealers on new motorcraft HFCMs and new trucks the factory installed fuel filters are marked with FF the replacement fuel filter does not have this marking. The fuel filter with O ring out of my new HFCM has the FF marking and my dealer is still telling me that it is an after market. Even after asking them to look on the Ford dealer ship web site. They have told me that it didnt matter what the web site said. They refuse to acknowledge that Ford has redesigned the filter.

Last edited:
Pressure drop across the filter, while not a direct measurement of flow(you need a graph to correlate flow vs D/P), will give you pressure difference across the filter. That would require a pressure measurement on both the inlet and outlet of the filter.

On a related note....
There are a few other indications I would like to monitor on this engine as well:
1) A real oil pressure indication
2) Temperature of coolant into and out of EGR/Oil Cooler
3) EGR Cooler shell temperature

That is all I can think of right now.

Clearly you are correct about the pressure drop on the inlet and outlet .... BUT, the system pressure drop is typically constant to the filter IF your pump is working well enough. These pumps do not fail often. Reduced pressure on the outlet of the filter will ALMOST ALWAYS be a plugged filter. Granted it could be the pump or a suction leak, or a suction line plugging up, etc. BUT the point is, it will tell you when you have a problem and if you do have a pressuire problem it is MOST LIKELY a plugged filter.

Sometimes a 95% solution that is fairly inexpensive is very acceptable!

Last edited:
Clearly you are correct about the pressure drop on the inlet and outlet .... BUT, the system pressure drop is typically constant to the filter IF your pump is working well enough. These pumps do not fail often. Reduced pressure on the outlet of the filter will ALMOST ALWAYS be a plugged filter. Granted it could be the pump or a suction leak, or a suction line plugging up, etc. BUT the point is, it will tell you when you have a problem and if you do have a pressuire problem it is MOST LIKELY a plugged filter.

Sometimes a 95% solution that is fairly inexpensive is very acceptable!

Absolutely. You could definitely trend that.

I have changed my fuel filters at the 15,000 mile interval twice and both times I finished thinking I wasted my money because they were spotless. Putting an indication of pressure or differential pressure which ever way you go would either allow that interval to be extended to a given pressure drop rather than milage and allow monitoring on the off chance that bad fuel had entered the system.

Then again you can get out of control spending money on stuff like that so fast....

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
For me, changing one's oil filters and fuel filters on time is normal maintanence... and if one can't afford to do it on schedule, then you they should sell their truck!!!!

Changing one's oil every 5,000 miles and one's fuel filter every 15,000 miles is not that expensive... even using OEM filters!!!!!

FYI - It took me awhile to climb up on my soap box... so I will stay here for awhile if you don't mind... and if you do... tough!!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I have a coolant filter, FASS fuel system for extra fuel filtration and an FS-2500 bypass oil filter. I did these to protect my investment. Of course, then i got into some 'other' mods and blew it apart, but the new engine is WELL protected. I also have a fuel pressure gauge monitoring the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure regulator that I installed with the Return Regulated Fuel System to help prevent starvation of the rear injectors. It works VERY well at letting me know when the filters NEED changing, but only once have they needed to be changed prior to the normal maintenance interval.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts