Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust help

Hi all
It's been a long time since I posted here. I haven't had much time to work on my truck. My truck is a 1992 f150 2x4 that I did both an engine and transmission Swap on going from a 4.9L with an auto to a 5.8L with a 5 speed. After the swap I put on shorty headers and slapped on an exhaust that almost didn't pass state inspection. Now it keeps falling a apart. But being a broke college student how would be the cheapest way to get a true dual exhaust on my truck. Any help would be appreciated. Below are some pics of the truck.
thanks
uploadfromtaptalk1466042218447.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1466042079407.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The proper way to do it is to keep your HEGO sensor in the exhaust, have an x-pipe to join them, then have them go back as dual exhaust. There's not really a "cheap" way to do it.

The shorties aren't going to do much for performance even though it may smooth out the sound and change the tone.

What keeps "falling apart?" Do you mean the header bolts keep backing out, or are other things failing? Nothing beats a properly welded exhaust system, so it makes sense to get a pro to do it.

If it's just your bolts that are coming out, they have non-reversing header bolts. Spend an extra $20 and get some GOOD gaskets, and throw on these bolts so they won't back out:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/stg-8913/overview/make/ford

Ryan

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Thoughts...

*One old skool trick that quite often solves the problem of header bolts backing out is to double gasket the header/head surface.

*There really is no such thing as cheap exhaust and no real *cheap* way out. You do needs to visit a muffler shop and have the guy fab the pipes and weld everything together. You can probably save some coin by bringing in your own mufflers, and using aluminized steel over 409SS or especially 304SS will save money, at the expense of some longevity. 409SS is what is and has been OEM on most cars for over 20 years now; it eventually fails but is extremely durable compared to the aluminized steel, but....this depends in you live where they plaster the roads with salt all winter long or not.

Hi thanks for the responses what actually is falling apart is the exhaust pipe I have clamped together. I have yet to have any issues with header bolts or headers. I'm thinking I may get a manifold back kit from bronco grave yard. And add a 2 foot section in order to get it to the back of the truck.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Full exhaust kits are all well and good. The quality probably varies from product to product, but there's no reason to object to that. However it's usually practically the same price for your local guy to fabricate a system up for you and you won't have to worry about logistics.

Makes sense, those clamps just aren't as good as welds. That's why us shade tree mechanics just have one welded together.

Ryan

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Amkatt1,

Did your shorties have the 3 bolt flange, or were they configured with the spherical ends and clamps like the original manifolds? I've got Ford Racing shorties on my 5.0, and want something very similar to what you have, but I'm leaning more toward a set of the Patriot side pipes, or something similar. We don't have emissions inspections here, so I don't have that to worry about. Would love to see photos of where they mate to the shorties, as well as what you did for the HEGO. Are you running an X or H pipe? Looking to spruce up my ol' 92, and want to turn some heads when I go by.

Ford Truck Articles