Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1984 control module problems

I need help. My "baby" is 1984 F150, 300 - 6 It has run beautifully for quite awhile. Started destroying ignition control modules. I have went throug 4 so far. I have replaced the distributor, cap and button, also replaced coil, fuel pump, and filter. The last control module , I went with the more expensive BWD at triple the cost. Worked great for two weeks. It now is seeming defective and engine quits. If I unplug the connector and reconnect, it will start again and run for a little while. What do I do next? Replace ECM? If possible wiring problems, (nothing has ever been done with this, stock) what do I look for etc? Can. Anyone help?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I need help. My "baby" is 1984 F150, 300 - 6 It has run beautifully for quite awhile. Started destroying ignition control modules. I have went throug 4 so far. I have replaced the distributor, cap and button, also replaced coil, fuel pump, and filter. The last control module , I went with the more expensive BWD at triple the cost. Worked great for two weeks. It now is seeming defective and engine quits. If I unplug the connector and reconnect, it will start again and run for a little while. What do I do next? Replace ECM? If possible wiring problems, (nothing has ever been done with this, stock) what do I look for etc? Can. Anyone help?
E43Z-12A297-A .. TFI Ignition Module-Located on Distributor (Motorcraft DY-425) / Marked: E3EF-12A297-A1A or A2A / Available from Ford & auto parts stores.

This module has been a notorious POS since day one! About 15 years ago, the US Gov't forced FoMoCo to recall over a million vehicles to replace the turds.

Today, the problem is even worse, with auto parts stores selling made in China crap!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I purchased another module today from another parts store. The last one is covered by warranty but had to order it. Going to take a few days. The one I purchased today says made in USA by BWD has me back on the road. I'll pick the other one up and I guess will have a spare. I cleaned a couple grounds and reconnected and also removed the ECM and cleaned pins. Nad reconnected. I pray this one will last?????? What else can I do ?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure to coat the back of it with the dielectric grease that was supplied with it, or the new one will fail soon too

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts