Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant on intake

Haven't had the truck long and not much time to look at it yet. Figured I'd ask on here quick to get some feed back. I have antifreeze sitting on the intake in. Couple spots. Any clues where it could b coming from? Any info or tips would be great

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
worst case my guess would be the gasket where the intake meets the head...

Fellro

Staff member
I would check the hoses, thermostat housing. Not a lot more options for that. There were some times they had coolant for the choke coil, but that was pretty uncommon... I would make certain all hoses are good first. If the intake gaskets were to blame, it would be in the oil... BTDT. On an FE, the intake meets the head under the valve cover.

If the intake gaskets are junk will this cause major engine issues with this in the oil. I will try n look into it more sometime this week.

Mine has the coolant line through carb base on the intake.
might want to see if you have one.
My heater by pass valve was also rotted.Giving that it is old,an its
all original,you will probably find some rotted lines.

An it maybe a good thing to have to replace your intake manifold
gaskets anyway,along with new valve cover gaskets....:)

I will post pics soon hopefully tomorrow. And see if it's like yours. Thanks for all who chimed in. Always wanted a ol ford this body style both my grandpas had one when I was a kid

Fellro

Staff member
It will destroy the motor if coolant is leaking into the oil, I had one that did just that. It put a rod straight down through the pan. I discovered later the manifold bolts were loose.

Fellro

Staff member
They really aren't that common to leak, but they can. My case has a little more info... PO had done an intake swap, but failed to get all the bolts tight.If it is leaking into the oil, most times is will mix in and make a brown milky look, or a gray milky look, seen them both ways. Most times, if the intake hasn't been disturbed, they don't tend to leak.

If you have the heated carb base like was mentioned, there are small hoses that are commonly overlooked that can certainly be the source.

Fellro

Staff member
Generally it takes time, but it depends on how much antifreeze is in the oil. The antifreeze breaks the oil down. If you find it does have it in the oil, you will want to do a couple short oil changes.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
You can actually have an intake manifold gasket leak coolant without it getting into the oil.. Had that happen myself.. In my case he gasket failed on the end passage where there was nothing else. So the coolant just followed the newly formed passage and shot the coolant out like a volcanic gyser..

But would say since you found some loose bolts I'd suspect its in your oil too..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I used to get coolant pooling on an intake. I could have sworn someone was putting it there when I wasn't looking.:suspicious: :suspicious:

:wasntme: i dont know what your talking about:wasntme:

Ford Truck Articles