Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty Problem

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Could we narrow the location down a bit? Washington State is like saying "I live in New England."

the turbo guage moves though, but if it moves (the guage) can it still be a stucking tubo and how can we fix a sticking turbo? the truck stood unstarted for about 3-4 months

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
the turbo guage moves though, but if it moves (the guage) can it still be a stucking tubo and how can we fix a sticking turbo? the truck stood unstarted for about 3-4 months

Yes even if the vanes are stuck the turbo will still provide boost. Also the 6.0 & VGT do not like to sit, very hard on things. Here are links to the procedure to clean the VGT.

www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/timnoll/2009-02-05_230522_tsb08-16-13.pdf

www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/

Links to the 6.0 & Turbo bibles

www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-08.php

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
i have never changed the filter by the transmition under the truck i never knew it existed can that be more likely the problem?

The filter on the frame rail under the drivers door is one of two of the fuel filters. The external by-pass transmission fluid filter is on the passenger side up front between the radiator & engine below the radiator. By-pass trans filter should be changed every 15k miles and the internal trans filter & fluid should be changed every 30k. Note only use Mercon SP trans fluid.

If you are hearing a sucking/wooshing sound from the engine and since the truck sat for a few months then the VGT could very well be sticking. A Ford tech with proper tools can test the VGT for proper operation while it is on the truck.
There are mulitple things that will cause the transmission not to shift properly. Without proper computer diagnostic testing we would only be guessing.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
well when driving the truck is slow like crap and when you let go of gas there is like a fluttering sound ?

Sounds like the VGT is not working properly. This can be from sticking vanes or bad actuator. Like Dave said, you can pull the turbo and clean it. If that doesn't fix the problem then it will take proper computer diagnostics by a qualified 6.0 tech to locate the problem more than likely.

hey guys i fixed it. It was the fuel fiters they were pure black. workin great now. Thanks for the help its good it wasnt a sticking turbo. you may lock it now

blacksnapon

Staff member
hey guys i fixed it. It was the fuel fiters they were pure black. workin great now. Thanks for the help its good it wasnt a sticking turbo. you may lock it now
That KISS rule has bitten more than one good mechanic. Good that you got it fixed.

Ford Truck Articles