Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My progress page

Thought I would start at the front. Got to start somewhere I guess. I got the bumper off and sanded on it last night till my elbows fell off in the dirt. But I got it smoooooth. I used Rustolium primer because I had a full can lying around doing nothing. Going to replace the bolts with stainless. I have started taking off the grill so I can paint behind it the right way. I noticed Ford put it on secure! There are bolts everywhere! Got one eye-cup out and can't quite see whats holding onto the grill down around the clearance light/turn signal. I don't see any screws or bolts but something has a hold on it. I guess I'll get it figured out. I will post pictures as things progress. Again, thanks for any help guys.

Also wanted to intro my Granddad. Sorry Moderators, I didn't feel that putting him down there in 'General conversation' was the thing to do...

Granddad and I went to the Graveyard this morning together. He sat there a while before we got out. His voice cracked a little when he said 'I have a lot of friends here'. It was a sad morning...But things got better. We went back to his place, ate bratwurst and has a good time. But I want to introduce you to him. He is known as many things to many people. He is my Granddad, but I call him Sir.

DSC00148.jpg

Giggity

Last edited by a moderator:

primetime

sawmill slave
One thing at a time. It`ll get there. I thank your grandad for his service.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
One thing at a time. It`ll get there. I thank your grandad for his service.

X2 Thank Your Grandfather for me also. Doing a truck or a car takes time so don't rush I wait until I get everything needed to do one project and see it through until it's finished.

Thanks guys! Granddad is one of them 'Good ole boys' You know what I mean? I hear there are not many left. You know, true good ole boys. The kind that will take his very last $20 out of his wallet, with maybe weeks away from his own payday and hand it to you just because he heard you are in a tight spot. Then, wouldn't accept it back if you tried to pay him. You know?

Hey! I can't get my grill off! What am I doing or not doing right? There bolts along the top are goofy! They are turned in like I have to almost remove the radiator to get a wrench on them. I get them off and the grill is still sitting very very solid. It's pizzing me off something terrible! I need to get under it to sand and paint behind it right. Former owners have just painted at it. Ya know? They probably had the same problems I am having. No doubt bolts I just can;t see? Damn! It's like it's welded on! I had to take a break. I don't want to get upset and bend it up. Any experience with this grill guys? Is it just a natural blt*h from hell to get off?

So many things I would like to be able to do like torch off old rusted bolts. But I got to do it all the hard way guys. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Giggity

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Thanks guys! hey! I can't get my grill off! What am I doing or not doing right? There bolts along the top are goofy! They are turned in like I have to almost remove the radiator to get a wrench on them. I get them off and the grill is still sitting very very solid. It's pizzing me off something terrible! I need to get under it to sand and paint behind it right. Former owners has just painted at it. Ya know? They probably had the same problems I am having. No doubt bolts I just can;t see? Damn! It's like it's welded on! I had to take a break. I don't want to get upset and bend it up. Any experience with this grill guys? Is it just a natural blt*h from hell to get off?

So many things I would like to be able to do like torch off old rusted bolts. But I got to do it all the hard way guys. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Giggity

I bet the clips under the bolts are broke. take a good light and look up from under the truck.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Gotta start somewhere, take lots os pics when you disassemble to help with the reassembly!

I'm out of school so got time now. Between moms 'Son! Come pull these weeds!' Or something such as that. I'm back at the grill today. I found some bolts that won't budge, I soaked them with WD. I'll try again later today. I've taken like 600 bolts out already. Well, maybe not that many but close! Seems Ford didn't want their grill moving around. Hope to pop up a few pictures later so like the movie 'The Red Headed Stranger' Remember that old mean man? "You people come out here and look upon my work!" Yea, so you guys cal look upon my work.smilietease

I would like to know maybe an idea on making the grill look better? 2-3000 grit sandpaper? Anything come to mind to revive it a bit? Thanks

Giggity

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You can polish the grille but it will take time. Read this link and follow it. I did to polish my wheels. One thing I did do different I started off with 400 grit,then went to 800 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and lastly mothers aluminum polish.
I used wet and dry sand paper from the local auto paint supply house and a bowl of water with a little dawn in it. Please don't buy the cheap sand paper from Wal Mart or other box stores they do not hold up.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exte...-heavily-oxidized-pitted-aluminum-wheels.html
Here is what my wheel looked like.
100_3438-500.jpg

Now they look like this.
100_3552-500.jpg

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Excellent article, Cliff. Thank You. I'll have to try that on my "Not - Ford" and on my Ford.

Thanks Doug I actually Found that link here and followed it. My wheels are not perfect lots of curb rash. But I have to admit they came out better than I thought.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looking good. I'd take some black paint to that radiator support to clean things up. smilieFordlogo

EDIT - take some very fine steel wool to the grill and then follow up with a good polish, or paint the sucker! I've always liked these trucks with white trim.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Don't paint that grille. Polish it using that link I posted, you will be glad you did.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts