Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Broken Spark plug blues

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey guys...this month's (December issue) Four Wheeler magazine has a write-up based around the issues of breaking spark plugs in the 3 valve modular motors. I can't seem to find a link to the article though. It discusses how to pull them for best reults in order not to break one/all of them. It also lists Champion as the only one piece plug, and should be the replacement of choice. And it also discuses how Lisle's plug extractor kit, seems to be the easiest to use and one of the favorites. The eluded to the fact that the kit is a little spendy, I'd guess upwards of $200, but that's far cheaper than having a shop do it for you. The article didn't go much into depth on the actual extraction, but stated the Lisle kit more than covers the details. So for those of you that might be affected with an 04-08 3 valve mod motor, I thought it was an interesting and helpful read.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Read this trail of tears and you won't be putting anything but OEM Motorcraft spark plugs back in....

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22240

I've heard more than once to use only Motorcraft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Autolite and Motorcraft essentially one in the same? Which are still 2 piece plugs, correct? And in that thread, I didn't see any mention of the one piece Champions. Now I don't know a damn thing about the mod motors other than I always read about the headaches when it comes to these plugs...I was just relaying what the article said and it said that Champion (Parent company Federal Mogul) were the only people to offer 1 piece plugs for those engines. I just took that info as truth...if the MC's are single piece or don't cause issues, then I guess more power to the mod guys.

History

The Ford Motor Company launched this auto parts division in 1972 to provide replacement parts and original equipment parts. This brand replaced Autolite as Ford's official parts brand. Autolite is still a brand name in use today, but is now owned by Honeywell. Motorcraft was originally launched in the 1950s with very little success, and was dropped when Ford purchased the Autolite trade name. Ford was forced to sell Autolite by the Federal Trade Commission. The Government found Ford had violated antitrust laws.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha. That said, are the MC's one piece or two piece? Because I thought it was the OEM's that were causing the breakage problems. I didn't see where he mentioned what the MC plugs replaced. Here again, I'm taking the article as gospel, but they said there were several problematic brands of two piece plugs. But anyway, just figured I'd pass along the info, and thought maybe some mod guys might wanna pick up the $3 mag for the info. If the Champion single piece plugs are any better than the MC plugs, or if it's a pick your poison kinda deal, I dunno.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh ok...I didn't realize all other available plugs could/would cause drivability issues.

Rant about my old timey carbed up inefficient gas hog inserted ____here____

This isn't anything brand new. I experienced it years ago. I'm not saying it happens 100% of the time. I used to be an absolute believer in Champion plugs.....across the board and learned from experience.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
From experience I usually recommend Motorcraft in Ford, AC/Delco in GM, and Champion in Dodge because of drivability issues. At my last job I got to see these plugs get stuck in the head. Funny situation since I warned my boss that it could be an issue doing these on a Saturday 2 hours before we close, but I was told "I didn't know what I was talking about" and "Stop being worried nothing will happen". Well 3 got stuck in each head.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This isn't anything brand new. I experienced it years ago. I'm not saying it happens 100% of the time. I used to be an absolute believer in Champion plugs.....across the board and learned from experience.

Yeah...I knew different plugs ran differently in different rigs...I just didn't know what the deal was here. Regardless, the article tries to outline how to minimize breakage, and if you do, the Lisle tool should do the trick and save you a good chunk of coin.

Proeliator

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
I know the factory two piece plugs are garbage and it has cost two of my friends significant repair bills.

Anyways, good call on pointing out the article and the one piece plugs are the way to go for sure.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Side story...that's almost exactly what my MC copper plug looked like (and I only paid $1.99, hahaha) on #4 when I rebuilt the top end a few months back. Still don't have a clue what caused it. When I finally pulled the head, the diode was shaped into a nice little ball. The plug had less than 300 miles on it, but judging from when drivability issues arose, I'd say less than 10 miles on the busted plug.

I'm on my phone right now so searching will have to wait. Was wondering what the e3 plugs are. And with the two piece plugs breaking and getting stuck in the head, wouldn't it keep from happening if an anti seize was used on the new two piece plugs going in.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm on my phone right now so searching will have to wait. Was wondering what the e3 plugs are. And with the two piece plugs breaking and getting stuck in the head, wouldn't it keep from happening if an anti seize was used on the new two piece plugs going in.
There are two places on the replacement plugs that get the copper anti sieze applied. Put it on the two tapered areas on each plug.

racsan

4xford
does this just apply to the 5.4 or could it occur with both the 4.6 & 5.4 ? dad is considering a newer truck and im thinking this alone could be good reason to stay away from the 5.4 and go with a 4.6 with low gearing, but obviously if they use the same heads/plugs, both could have the same issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts