Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V10 rebuild

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anybody have a guesstimation on what a stock V10 rebuild would run????? My dad's buddy has a 4by Excursion for sale, stupid cheap (like $2900 cheap), and I've always wanted an Ex...but it has a quarter mil on the clock. If it'll be more than $1500 for the rebuild, I don't think I'll even consider it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ouch...I'm really not looking for something that's gonna need alot of work up front. And if the kit is that much alone, imagine what labor will be. Then a transmission will need to be rebuilt, and God knows how much that'll be.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hmmm...now we're thinking, probably not a manual transmission though. Does anyone know how that would do when it came to inspection time? Say I throw a 460 and C6/E4OD in there?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I'm probably hesitant because I haven't looked in to actually doing it and don't have a clue. But say I were to swap a diesel in, what would that do come time for inspection?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thought so. I guess I'll just have to do some more digging and see what this thing would cost me over the next 50k.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
oh damn, I forgot about emissions... haven't dealt with emissions in eons...

The Ford no longer needed inspection in NC (35 years old) there's no inspections at all in MT and I live out of Maricopa county here in hell... err... phoenix... where emissions is mandatory. No inspections at all out of the city.

I'd steer clear of a 460 personally, but that's a matter of preference and it'd probably take a bloody lot of fabricaton to do it.

Look into a used Triton and see what happens...

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Just a question

I see this has been sitting around with no answer for a while, so I thought I would ask a question to try to draw out some other responses.

The question is:

Does the engine NEED a rebuild? Not being smart, but you didn't say.

The reason I ask is that I have seen several comments made indicating that many V-10's have run past the 300,000 mile mark. I have even seen some say they have run over 400,000 miles without rebuild.

Why not get it, give it a super tune-up and see what it does? At worst, you have some fairly new parts already bought for the replacement.

So, if you buy it, put $700 into it and keep it two years, it costs you $150 a month to drive over and above gas and oil.

Pretty cheap transportation.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
It would have to pass emissions like it had a factory diesel in it.
Might want to double check that you have diesel emissions testing I know travis county there is emissions testing except for diesels.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I see this has been sitting around with no answer for a while, so I thought I would ask a question to try to draw out some other responses.

The question is:

Does the engine NEED a rebuild? Not being smart, but you didn't say.

The reason I ask is that I have seen several comments made indicating that many V-10's have run past the 300,000 mile mark. I have even seen some say they have run over 400,000 miles without rebuild.

Why not get it, give it a super tune-up and see what it does? At worst, you have some fairly new parts already bought for the replacement.

So, if you buy it, put $700 into it and keep it two years, it costs you $150 a month to drive over and above gas and oil.

Pretty cheap transportation.

Thanks for the input...I ended up passing, the vehicle seemed very nice, but the potential of a rebuild in thevery near future scared me away. I already have one rig sitting in folks' driveway with a fried engine...I couldn't afford another.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts