Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

another blown spark plug

rambler

New Shoes......
OK,

now #4 blew out on the way home last night, I paid the ford dealer over $600 last time, on #3, but have no money right now. the coil is toast and the plug looks fine, but I'm concerned that even though I do not see anything on the threads of the plug, that it is still stripped out in the head.

my issue, is that I have never done a heli-coil before, and wondering what the process is and how to do it? got to get this back on the road, but dont want to ruin it any more....

I remember reading a post where someone else has already done this...

anyone near KC or just east want to help me out? will grill some steaks for the consultation fee...

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK,

now #4 blew out on the way home last night, I paid the ford dealer over $600 last time, on #3, but have no money right now. the coil is toast and the plug looks fine, but I'm concerned that even though I do not see anything on the threads of the plug, that it is still stripped out in the head.

my issue, is that I have never done a heli-coil before, and wondering what the process is and how to do it? got to get this back on the road, but dont want to ruin it any more....

I remember reading a post where someone else has already done this...

anyone near KC or just east want to help me out? will grill some steaks for the consultation fee...
When you get a helicoil kit, it will come with a thread tap. They have you tap out new threads that are slightly larger than stock. The helicoil insert screws into the hole that you have just tapped out. The finished product will have threads the same size as stock. It will have an installation tool. The issue is to get out the cuttings from the tap.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The kit I have suggests putting bearing grease on the tap to hold the shavings as well as using a small wand on a shop vac to try and get as much of the shavings out as possible.

rambler

New Shoes......
Thanks,

I'm going to look around for the tool, the prices so far are from $45 up to $350... for a heli-coil.... crazy..

rambler

New Shoes......
doing some research and found a kit that might work...

napa 600-3248 or Dorman 42025,

they say it is easier, only a self-threading tap, and then a larger spark plug, seems simpler than a heli-coil.. about $50-70 to purchase.. I am thinking going this route,,,, has anyone used the napa tool before?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^They should have helicoils and taps at your local parts store...and you'll be out the door for under $30...grab the size you need and be on your way.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
doing some research and found a kit that might work...

napa 600-3248 or Dorman 42025,

they say it is easier, only a self-threading tap, and then a larger spark plug, seems simpler than a heli-coil.. about $50-70 to purchase.. I am thinking going this route,,,, has anyone used the napa tool before?

And then every time you do a tune-up you will have to remember to get one larger size spark plug. I woudl go with one of the heli-coil kits myself.

Did Ford ever eventually fix this problem on the newer 5.4's?

The new 5.4s have more threads to fix this problem. But then they decided to use those two piece spark plugs that get stuck in the spark plug hole.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
The new 5.4s have more threads to fix this problem. But then they decided to use those two piece spark plugs that get stuck in the spark plug hole.

Oh okay. I heard about the 2 piece plugs before. I just looked them up, and what a stupid design that was. They obviously didn't test every scenario when they designed them. Carbon locks everything up, I can't believe they overlooked that. They probably over thought the design.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I have seen may heli coil kits that fail, the ones that use a different plug usually melt the sparkplug after awhile and will blow back out. The only kit that I have seen that works is the one we use at work, you drill and tap the hole then install a sleeve that is jb welded in, uses the stock spark plug and will never blow out again. Now the problem is the kit isn't cheap but it's worth it. Im not sure who makes it I will check tomorrow and let you guys know we did get it from the snapon dealer.

rambler

New Shoes......
I've got to do this with the head still on the engine, this is on a 2000 F-250, and there is no way I can remove the head on this, or pay someone right now, my understanding is that it is faster to remove the cab then to try to get it off without doing that.

I am concerned with a standard heli-coil as they the plug is angled, and I fear I may mess it up worse, I've seen more expensive kits, where the tap is longer and has a angled wedge you use as well, but then looking at almost $300 to do it.

I wish I had the $600 that the dealership wants to redo it, but cannot afford it right now.

thanks again for your posts, I'm learning

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It is easy to do with the head on the engine. The kit I have did cost about $300, but it worked perfectly and was easy to do. It also came with enough to fix a few trucks. I've only had to use it once though and now just sits in the bottom of my toolbox.

rambler

New Shoes......
It is easy to do with the head on the engine. The kit I have did cost about $300, but it worked perfectly and was easy to do. It also came with enough to fix a few trucks. I've only had to use it once though and now just sits in the bottom of my toolbox.

I forgot to ask you before..

which kit do you have? brand name and product number? I'll look for it,,thanks!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I will get that info later tonight for you.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I don't understand how a spark plug can blow out.
Sounds like you've got 5k psi going on or something.
Some of the earlier modulars were manufactured with only 4 threads in the head for the spark plugs. Not many threads+aluminum heads= eventual problem.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Here is the kit I used and it is apparently alot cheaper now.

http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/Triton_98140T.html

It worked really well on the truck I repaired it with. I would recommend it. Take your time and follow exactly as the instructions tell you. I never had done it before and it worked out really well even while consuming beer, but I don't recommend that.

rambler

New Shoes......
OK, finally got around to deciding and ordered the part, it came in today, I hope to tackle this thing tomorrow afternoon, as long as the rain stops..

question.. did you pull the valve cover off to check the valve as suggested in the directions? wish me luck.. ;)

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Nope. I just did the repair and started it up. I don't even remember that being in the instructions LOL. Good luck.

rambler

New Shoes......
SUCCESS!

I worked on it on Saturday, ( missed a local truck show, but had to get it on the road), let it sit for 24 hours due to the sealant, and fired it up yesterday..

looks like I did good...

Saved myself some $$$$, was a lot of fun ( NOT ) laying down on the engine to get to the #4 plug, but took my time and double checked everything and got it done.

next project, new u-joint on the rear driveshaft and check the auto-hubs, I think they are now dis-engaging...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts