Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Poll. Iron vs Aluminum Block

Which block is best for building up a engine?

• Aluminum

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Iron

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I say Alum...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The way the aluminum is alloyed these days, if I was going to do an engine for racing it would be aluminum.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The blocks are not the issue here its the rotating assembly's on these motors you have to fix. these iron blocks will handle 1000 HP easy. but the rods pistons and crank can't. just my .02 and I don't know much about boosted 5.4's LOL

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
The blocks are not the issue here its the rotating assembly's on these motors you have to fix. these iron blocks will handle 1000 HP easy. but the rods pistons and crank can't. just my .02 and I don't know much about boosted 5.4's LOL

Lol, well i got a 5.4 now! So uh, what happened to yours? Seen something on facebook about a bad valve n piston or something, just hadn't got on here cause of school!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Check out my build thread! LOL

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
What is the best iron block out there, both production and aftermarket?

As far as being cost-effective, able to take stoopid mods without distintigrating, and sold in large enough quantities to support a large aftermarket?

Easy answer- GM LS block. Ford had to put a blower on their mod motor just to equal what GM got of a NA LS motor. (flame suit on)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
GM had 500hp from a NA engine?..what CI?..I went and looked..so we are comparing a 7l engine to a 5.4?..or the 5.7 to the 4.6?

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
the basic lightning motor compared to a basic LS engine...

the funniest part in a way, is they use freaking pushrod engine technology in the internals...

MOD motors, ohv... total worlds apart yet ford wasnt able to keep up power wise...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Easy answer- GM LS block. Ford had to put a blower on their mod motor just to equal what GM got of a NA LS motor. (flame suit on)

All I know is that's been the platform/family to have for quite few years now in the rock crawling circuit...I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they regretted the swap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Buzzkill......

This is just a poll/discussion on which block is stronger for a modular motor build up.

Give me a hoy,i have an aluminum 5.4 quad engine 11.5 to 1 comp scat internals motec m800 ecu. Engine was out of gt production racing car. engine make 547hp on pump grade 98 octane or 564hp on pump grade 110 octane. There are pros and cons for both engine block materials, use and cost. Top fuel engine blocks aluminum ! i think thay make more hp than any other internal combustion engine? more than 1000hp any way. I will be dropping the comp within 12 mths to 10.0 to 1 or 10.5 to 1 so i can put a intercooled blower with 16psi at first then may crank it up to max of 20psi. Not sure what people think is going to break my engine shifted gears at 7500rpm which was a regulation of the racing class. Quad cam (4 cam) 5.4 have been and gone in Australia alloy heads iron blocks. Every performance car engine the world is aluminum so don't worry if you break an aluminum block you will break a cast iron block. Cast iron is from the iron age time to move on it's 2011.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts