Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

question about explorers

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
We owned two of them, the regular V6 and the SOHC...I liked them and had no issues with them...they were a 97 and 99 if I remember correctly.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Parents had one for a while... No complaints.

Transmissions were rumored to be weak... Some had trouble with them, some didn't.

Overall a tough little truck. Especially ones with the 5.0 V8

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Great rigs, I had almost 400k on mine.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Had two a 94 and a 96 both where good.
Only problem was electric 4wwheel shift motors when out but that's their nature to die when you need 4 wheel drive most.

The 96 the lower intake gaskets had to be replaced, time consuming job due to everything needs removed to get to them.
Both got 18mpg normal driving.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Mom has a '94 and my sister's got a '99. They're pretty good rigs, for what they are. Kinda small inside for my taste, considering how thirsty they are, but is what it is. Seem to rust in the same places as Rangers- radiator support and spring hangers are the first to go. Maybe less an issue in you area, but worth looking.

Quarter-million miles is a lot- more than enough to kill any rig if it's not taken care of.

I'm thinking Explorers got the SOHC 4.0 before Rangers did...maybe '98 or '99? Timing chains on that motor would be a concern with high miles. They do wear, and you have to pull the engine to change one side. Big job on a worn-out old rig.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Mom has a '94 and my sister's got a '99. They're pretty good rigs, for what they are. Kinda small inside for my taste, considering how thirsty they are, but is what it is. Seem to rust in the same places as Rangers- radiator support and spring hangers are the first to go. Maybe less an issue in you area, but worth looking.

Quarter-million miles is a lot- more than enough to kill any rig if it's not taken care of.

I'm thinking Explorers got the SOHC 4.0 before Rangers did...maybe '98 or '99? Timing chains on that motor would be a concern with high miles. They do wear, and you have to pull the engine to change one side. Big job on a worn-out old rig.

mid 98 was the split... we had a early 98 with OHV.. mid year they went OHC...

Im thinking about doing mainly because the car im driving now is an old volvo and its having problems and parts for volvos are expensive. Where the explorer is a ford so parts are cheaper then volvo and easier to get. I have pics how do i show them?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts