Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What kind of oil should I use?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ha Ha, Firgured I get the first post. BTW what do you guys think about Amsoil? I heard it was the best oil ever made.

Fellro

Staff member
Can't say about how it is today, but my dad tried it many moons ago, and following dino it sludged up the motor. Now whether it cleaned the motor (hard to believe at 40,000 miles) or made sludge I can't say. That was the early days though, back in the mid 80's.

Last edited:
Unfotunately, I can't justify the best in my ratty 'ol 6.0.......soooo, I'll have to settle for Shell Rotella Synthetic..:cooldude:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Wow, you guys are too easy, wait til Beech and Bob Ayers get here. I guess its an inside joke.

I have used Rotella T 15W40, Rotella T Syn 5W40, Chevron Delo 400 15W40, and now currently Motorcraft 15W40. The price of oil has gone up in recent years quite a bit, however Advanced Auto Parts is currently selling the Motorcraft 15W40 in a 5 qt jug for $9.89, which is a pretty god deal.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Yeah, well, I'm running AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil. So, let them talk. :D

tcbofade

Charter Member
...well yeah, but didn't you just put a new engine in your truck? confused

Sorry, Todd...couldn't resist! :rofl:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Ha Ha, Firgured I get the first post. BTW what do you guys think about Amsoil? I heard it was the best oil ever made.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA....do you mean Scamsoil??????:rofl:

Don't forget about the "BEST" tranny fluid too!!!!

Thanks for kicking of the new thread Ryan!!!

And, to get back on topic, I use Rotella 15w40 in my diesel, and Castrol GTX in my gasoline vehicles......

i've used Pennzoil for yrs with the exception of the one time i used tranny fluid(funny story & excellent oil pressure btw).

ok.... i've heard you all in MO use KY in your grease guns and during oil changes. i will not apologize. i beg you all switch to 15w40 but.....:beer: please no more banning. the only site i can still access is knitters R us

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I use Amsoil regular 5w-30 for about 6,000 miles between changes.

I still can't figure out why I put in 6 quarts and take out 3. confused

Ryan

That's an Amsoil "feature" ....check out their website!!!:rofl:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
...well yeah, but didn't you just put a new engine in your truck? confused

Sorry, Todd...couldn't resist! :rofl:
No, just put the original back in. Using Amsoil to try and break it in quicker.

Been a GTX user for years. I may try Royal Purple, though, unless someone has a reason not to other than price. The only time I don't use it is when the old lady picks up Coastal for her car.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Too funny.... you just had to be the first.... use Amsoil in the post... and even state you "heard it was the best."

Let me sleep on it...

By the way, I used Motorcraft 15W-40 for the first 50,000 miles with zero problems and then switched to Rotella-Syn 5W-40 since then. I just turned 91,000 miles this evening coming back from the airport!!!

Use what you want... just not Amsoil....

Amsoil is:
1) Not API certifed like other convential or synthetic oils

2) Costs more for what it is as compared to other group III, group IV or PAO oils (yet performs no better).

3) Their marketing justifies extended oil changes to pay for the oil... but their latest ad in 8-Lug magazine states that their oils last as long as the manufactures longest interval as mentioned in the manual (boy... that's a big drop from their 25,000 mile or more recommendations of prior).

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with biodegradeable? I'm a conservaionist at heart and would like to keep petroleum products off the trail when I rip an oil pan off or crack a diff housing.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Anyone have any experience with biodegradeable? I'm a conservaionist at heart and would like to keep petroleum products off the trail when I rip an oil pan off or crack a diff housing.

Wow... never heard of biodegradable oil???

Something tells me that to achieve the various API certifications a biodegradable oil may not be up to the task... let alone I have never heard of it before... or are you "yanking my chain"????

To be biodegradable, it must dillute in water and break down... and obviously yor oil doing that in your motor is not a good thing.

Either I just fell into a "trap" by responding to this question, or I am really behind the times on oil technology?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

CenPeCo, its synthetic bean oil. Not sure how much petroleum products it contains (has to have some in the add packs I would imagine) but the base stock is from bean oil.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
After going to their website and checking it out, my last post would appear flase. I know years ago a freind of mine raced flat track and they used CenPeCo oil, I could have swore it was bean oil.

I've got a .pdf somewhere from a website, but I figured they'll say it's great. But you can't beat the experience of those who've used it.

Ford Truck Articles