Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

whats your favorite filter?

blacksnapon

Staff member
What kind of oil filter do you use, and why? (techs, stay out of this until later. I want to see this). I'll give my reasons later.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
since I get my oil changed and don't do it myself I use what they use. Since I usually get it done at the dealership though I assume they use motorcraft.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Motorcraft FL-1A. Readily available, cheap, and I've heard more good things about them than any other filter that's as available and as cheap.

Heard a lot of people knock Fram, but they don't seem to have done any real harm to my truck for the 200k the original owner used them on it.

Storm

Fram.. because I got like 30 filters from a massive Racor Sales of 2 for $7.. So me and a buncha buddies hit every Pepboys in the Austin region..

Plus they are nothing more than repackaged Racor.. I'm not paying FoMoCo's cost of a freaking oil filter..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Plus they are nothing more than repackaged Racor.. I'm not paying FoMoCo's cost of a freaking oil filter..

At Wal-Mart or Autozone, the Motorcraft filters are the just about the same price (maybe even a little cheaper) than the Frams... I think I pay about $3.50 or so.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I use either Fram or Motorcraft as both say they're made by Racor. Just depends on where I'm at when I need to get them.

Storm

Well I dont need any for the next oh.. 5 years LMAO..

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I believe in using the OEM filter! I use Motorcraft on my Fords, Volvo on my Volvo, and Mercedes (Mann) on both Mercedes.

Motorcraft FL1A, two of them on the same rig no less.

Anyone know who manufacturers the Motorcraft oil filters?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Motorcraft filters are cheap at Wally World. I use the FL-820S on my truck since the longer FL-1A's dont fit on my model year.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Chris- don't know if it's true for the Windsors, but I know on the Lima 4-cyl Rangers, the newer ones stroked to 2.5 ran the smaller filter due to fitment, but there's a Mustang adapter plate you can buy (can't remember the particulars, as it doesn't apply to my truck, but it's a factory part) that turns the mounting 90* and lets your run the bigger FL-1A filter.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Chris- don't know if it's true for the Windsors, but I know on the Lima 4-cyl Rangers, the newer ones stroked to 2.5 ran the smaller filter due to fitment, but there's a Mustang adapter plate you can buy (can't remember the particulars, as it doesn't apply to my truck, but it's a factory part) that turns the mounting 90* and lets your run the bigger FL-1A filter.
Interesting... Although if I really wanted to use the FL-1A filters I'd just get a dual filter relocation kit and mount two FL-1A filters somewhere else :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Whatever...I just remember reading that on a Ranger forum, uh, elsewhere. Didn't apply to my truck, but I filed it away in case I ever acquired a Ranger with the 2.5. I'm glad I never did, though (good friend went to Iraq, if he didn't come back, I'd have had two Ford Rangers). Makes me damn happy I only have one, when I think about it that way.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I used to use whatever i could get but now I am gonna use these. They are lifetime filters and are a little pricey but they are worth it to me for the Royal Purple oil I use.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
have any of you ever cut open an oil filter? if not, next time you get an oil change cut the top off and look inside. this is why i DON'T and REFUSE to use FRAM filters. they are made very very cheaply. cut open a WIX or motorcraft filter and its a better constructed filter by far. on my next oil change il cut it open and take pictures.

i use motorcraft, WIX and Mighty oil filters.(mighty is the parts people we go through for air filters, oil filters, belts and so on for the shop)

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I use a Motorcraft FL820s.

Chris our motors have a watercooled plate that the filter sits on, thus the use of the shorter filter, you may have known but I happened to look at it and noticed it not too long ago. Let the whipping begin,,,lol

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I use Fram XG8 on the stang, and Fram XG2 on the truck. Always had motorcraft ones leak on me, so i dont use them. Ive used purone, and mobil 1, never used K&N as they never have my one. I use the Fram HM2 on my moms Grans Marquis. 120K on stang, 105K on truck(5K on new engine), 150K on moms Grand Marquis. I could go on and on with milage and Fram filters. They work. No matter what. All filters do, more expensive ones are prob built better with better stuff, but if you change on time its all good.

I got that water cooling thing also, I want to remove it, its aftermarket. I forget who makes it. Thats another thread.

Ford Truck Articles