Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What brand of oil do you use?

I personaly don't use any since I don't have a car. Though we use synthetic, at least in our Suburban. I don't think we use it on the M35X we don't really do anything to that car, just abuse it. It always say we have maintenance due.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Bike gets Mobil1 full race synthetic (has additives to help the clutch disks among other things).
My '91 Toyota has Royal Purple synthetic
Haven't changed the oil in the '71 yet nor the Explorer...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Mobil1 Synthetic.

I'm a great believer in the adage that the best oil for a 200k mile engine is the one that got it there, and that's what this truck has run since new, so it's all I've ever run.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For vehicles with toooooons of smoke and leaks...it's 15w50 Mystik HD Diesel oil for me. Then when breaking in an engine...it's Shell Rotella 15w40. Then for between those two extremes, it's 10w40 Motorcraft. Of course, all of these get supplemented by Lucas.

Shell Rotella 15w/40 in the 6.0 for 42,000 miles

Quaker State 10w/30 in the 460 for 214,000 miles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't know the answer but do you mean cheap as in price or cheap as in poor quality? So we're all answering the same question.
Both. I mean I guess I know it's cheap (I've seen it at the store). And I've just assumed that the price translated to quality.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Again I don't rightly know the answer but.

As long as it is API certified for the application you are using it for I would assume all oils with that certification have the same minimum standard.

Like gasoline...They all meet a certain MINIMUM standard but some add other misc stuff to make it their own blend

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It's the additives that count. I think we can all agree that using the "bare minimum" is obviously not as good as using a highly refined, developed, and chemically improved oil, right?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's the additives that count. I think we can all agree that using the "bare minimum" is obviously not as good as using a highly refined, developed, and chemically improved oil, right?

Won't that depend on what kinda fan you have???????????? HAHAHAHAHAHA, just playin. But yes, I agree.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Royal Purple front to rear here also.

I knew I liked you tex, wow was that out loud!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Royal Purple front to rear here also.

I knew I liked you tex, wow was that out loud!

Geezus...how do you guys afford that stuff...I can't even afford to THINK about going RP for even an oil change, much less the whole truck.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Good thing about it is the F&R diffs not very often, but the $60 oil + filter gets pricey! LOL I haven't changed the transfercase yet, that is this summer, and the tranny I need to change also. I also go closer to the 10k mark on oil changes, Talked to my motor guy and that is what he suggested, even under the high demands of my driving style, he said it has been proven to last that long before breakdown. as a matter of fact, I think I need to change it pretty shortly.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Good thing about it is the F&R diffs not very often, but the $60 oil + filter gets pricey! LOL I haven't changed the transfercase yet, that is this summer, and the tranny I need to change also. I also go closer to the 10k mark on oil changes, Talked to my motor guy and that is what he suggested, even under the high demands of my driving style, he said it has been proven to last that long before breakdown. as a matter of fact, I think I need to change it pretty shortly.

Yeah...I guess the extended life definitely helps...but I still usually go about 5k before my changes.

Brings up a question though...I remember my granfather (who was a Ford Master mechanic) telling me all the time that the 3000 mile mark was a marketing thing to keep business coming in. He said the guys at his shop and dealership would laugh at the folks that needed routine 3k changes. He said he'd never think twice about letting oils last until 10-12k or a year...whichever comes first. I dunno, if that has something to do with the change in oil over time, and he was stuck in yesteryear...or if he was really on to something. I remember folks sending their oil off to be analyzed (on the other place) after so many odd miles, and they would have a projected oil life that went far beyond the recommended mileage use.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts