Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

time to change oil!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Do I still really need to change the oil every 3k or so in the Bronco, if I change it one quart at a time every 200 miles?????? AHAHAHA. But naw, I'm good I changed all fluids on my rigs 2-3 weeks ago...so I'm good. However, I have already put 1200 miles on the Bronco in that time. But thanks for the reminder. Remind me again mid summer.

thought of this earlier - those of you that change your own oil, do you keep track of when to do it by...

-your own window sticker on
-put it on the calendar
-usually just remember
-crap, brb

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To answer your question Tom...I usually just remember when I last changed it, and do a visual inspection of the oil...if it needs changing, I do, if not, I'll usually run it a little longer...helps stretch out that $40-50 per change a little further.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
yup my oil change just cost me 48.72...
I set an alarm on my phone, at about 6 weeks, with a memo of how many miles were on there when i changed it...

But i usually do it as ben does...
By the way the oil looks.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
thought of this earlier - those of you that change your own oil, do you keep track of when to do it by...

-put it on the calendar
-usually just remember
-crap, brb
Trip meter ;) I wait until it gets into the 3000-5000 range then I start monitoring the color of the oil more closely.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

-put it on the calendar
-usually just remember
-crap, brb

On Grandma's car, though...there's a piece of paper tacked to the wall in her garage where I right down the mileage when I change it. Grandpa used that system for decades, so anyone in the family would know to look around in the garage and find that paper to know when it was last changed.

I've done the "sticker" thing, too, except I just tear one flap off the top of the filter box and tuck it in the visor or on the edge of the instrument cluster. I realized I never forgot the number, though...so I now I skip the "writing it down" step.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You mean there's no one here that changes their oil when the dash light goes off???????!!!!!!!!!

Apparently...that's my gf's sister's approach. She called me all proud a few weeks back telling me she had changed the oil in her bf's bravada, I congratualted her, but then it was revealed her idea of changing it is bringing it to a quick lube shop...Anyway, she was driving the bravada(which is known to blow oil)...the oil light started going off. OH NO...the oil needed to be changed, so she thought she was doing the right thing by going and getting it changed. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she didn't really change the oil...nor did I have the heart to tell her all she had to do was add a quart and a half of oil at $5 instead of $35 for the change, because she was soooooo proud of herself...I figured I'd let her own bf tell her what needed to be done...haha. Looks like I lucked out with which sister I picked.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive

-put it on the calendar
-usually just remember
-crap, brb

I keep a log of all maintenance I do to my trucks in their respective glove-box. I know exactly the mileage and dates of everything I do.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well im due up again... :)
Just finished up not long ago...
Put some miles on the truck lately, plus it was gettin pretty dark. I noticed i have a light gas smell with my oil. Truck running rich?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I just guess because my speedometer doesn't work so I do not know my mileage. I should fix that.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I just changed to 10w30 Rotella in the '79, tends to start easier at 0 degrees than the summer time 15w40 that was in there.

The PSD gets Rotella 5w40 synthetic and that was changed this fall.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Did mine about 2 months ago......I could go to the parts store and grab a roll of free stickers but i think they look cheesy. I just try to check on the color every now and again. BTW Tex......how many miles are you going between oil changes on that royal purple?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts