Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pop quiz people!

blacksnapon

Staff member
For this one you need a little knowledge of how it works to begin with. EGR happens by re-routing some burned exhaust gasses back into the intake flow. This makes the mixture less "volatile". The egr valve is the component that does that..............until now. Newer diesels, ecoboost, and some other engines get egr without an egr valve...............HOW?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I just read something on that a few weeks ago...damned if I can remember though!

EGR valve re routes the un spent gasses to keep them from re-igniting.
Just like Rattlecan said,the new heads maybe ported for that,But,
I didnt know a diesl needed an EGR valve....:scratch:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just like Rattlecan said,the new heads maybe ported for that,But,
I didnt know a diesl needed an EGR valve....:scratch:
Yep, Diesel or gas, they wanted to reduce NOX emissions (oxides of nitrogen). Essentially, its heat. Thats why when you have a working EGR system, your EGTs are reduced.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Nope, the engine can't distinguish between spent and unspent, it just runs a portion of exhaust gasses back through the intake stream. On a gas engine, if it isn't burning completely, the o2 sensors register lean (remember, the o2 sensors measure oxygen, not fuel) because of the unburned oxygen. But o2 sensors are downstream of the egr system.

blacksnapon

Staff member
No more guesses? OK, to get the shot of exhaust gasses into the exhaust stream, they overlap the intake valve with the exhaust valve where the intake opens slightly during the exhaust stroke. Simple, HUH?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts