Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Motorcraft full synthetic diesel oil

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
What are the projected service intervals, say, on the 6.0 compared to Dino?

On the 6.0 the OCI is the same if you run dino or synthetic. The 6.0 is extremely hard on oil do to shearing. The HPOP in the 6.0 is much harder on oil than in the 7.3. All of the UOA done on all types of oil in the 6.0 have resulted in 5k OCI for severe duty (most users) and 7500 OCI for normal service. The only oil that has held up to an exteneded OCI (10K miles) in the 6.0 is Redline 15W-40 Group V, but it is mucho expensive and not API licensed. BTW the 5W-40 is not recommended by FMC in the 6.0 for use above 30F. The 5W-40 has been used by several people in the 6.0 in temps up to 90F but since it is a 5-weight base stock to begin with it shears down to a low 30-weight in a short time especially when towing or used in Hot (Phoenix) climates. The 5W-40 works well for cold start situations but you are better off running a 15W-40 for towing or high heat applications.

Now in the 6.4 this is a whole different ballgame since the injectors are no longer oil fired. In fact FMC has increased the OCI to 10k for normal use in the 6.4.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
On the 6.0 the OCI is the same if you run dino or synthetic. The 6.0 is extremely hard on oil do to shearing. The HPOP in the 6.0 is much harder on oil than in the 7.3. All of the UOA done on all types of oil in the 6.0 have resulted in 5k OCI for severe duty (most users) and 7500 OCI for normal service. The only oil that has held up to an exteneded OCI (10K miles) in the 6.0 is Redline 15W-40 Group V, but it is mucho expensive and not API licensed. BTW the 5W-40 is not recommended by FMC in the 6.0 for use above 30F. The 5W-40 has been used by several people in the 6.0 in temps up to 90F but since it is a 5-weight base stock to begin with it shears down to a low 30-weight in a short time especially when towing or used in Hot (Phoenix) climates. The 5W-40 works well for cold start situations but you are better off running a 15W-40 for towing or high heat applications.

Now in the 6.4 this is a whole different ballgame since the injectors are no longer oil fired. In fact FMC has increased the OCI to 10k for normal use in the 6.4.

Thats why I change my oil every 3K miles :)

Gunner

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
OK... I'm in so I get email updates for this thread.

Interesting that Conoco would not have already released their own lable brand as well for those that would not buy their oil from the dealer.

As well (if I read Vince's post correctly)... Ford has it in 55 gallon drums and not in quarts or gallons???

For now... I will keep using my Rotella 5W-40 synthetic due to price and get the same protection in my 6.0L. Now if I had a 6.4L, that's a different story.

I assume Ford needs a 5W-40 oil for those 6.4L owners that live in cold climate areas and starting a diesel can be a real chore with 15W-40 when it's BBrrrrrrr cold!!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts