Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

73 f-100 motor options.

So for no apparent reason my perfectly running stock 302 suddenly began knocking pretty badly. I had just replaced the 2bbl intake and carb with a 4bbl and it was sitting there idiling while i was adjusting the carb, sounded fine, no smoke no idle issues , nothing. When all the sudded it just starts knocking. plenty of oil, just changed it about 200 miles ago, nothing to indicate it was about to happen. oh well. That being said, ive now gotta decide what direction to go. The little 302 was definitly a healthy little bugger so i could go find a fresh bottom end and swap that in. or i could find a 351 to go in there. Ive also got a 68 GTA Mustang 390 on a stand... that would require motor ounts and a C6 to go in place of the 3.03 thats behind it now though....

All suggestions\votes are welcome!

emtzach

i get paid to do this
So for no apparent reason my perfectly running stock 302 suddenly began knocking pretty badly. I had just replaced the 2bbl intake and carb with a 4bbl and it was sitting there idiling while i was adjusting the carb, sounded fine, no smoke no idle issues , nothing. When all the sudded it just starts knocking. plenty of oil, just changed it about 200 miles ago, nothing to indicate it was about to happen. oh well. That being said, ive now gotta decide what direction to go. The little 302 was definitly a healthy little bugger so i could go find a fresh bottom end and swap that in. or i could find a 351 to go in there. Ive also got a 68 GTA Mustang 390 on a stand... that would require motor ounts and a C6 to go in place of the 3.03 thats behind it now though....

smiliepeelout lol of course most are gonna say go bigger its just gonna happen. Its up to you of course. Either way your pulling the motor. obviously a lower end rebuild would be easiest. BUt if you can find the parts for the 390 that would be a cool project too, unless you were planing on putting it in something else

From the sound of it its definitly a rod knocking and it didnt sound good at all. Definitly not just a timing issue. but im thinking windsor is gonna be the way to go. im kinda on the market for a 67-8 Mustang to put the 390 back in so i think ill keep it for that.

But if i go 351 can i run my 302 E7te heads and aluminum dualplane Ford racing intake on top of it?

Thanks guys!

From the sound of it its definitly a rod knocking and it didnt sound good at all. Definitly not just a timing issue. but im thinking windsor is gonna be the way to go. im kinda on the market for a 67-8 Mustang to put the 390 back in so i think ill keep it for that.

But if i go 351 can i run my 302 E7te heads and aluminum dualplane Ford racing intake on top of it?

Thanks guys!

You can't use a 302 intake on a 351 due to the taller deck height of the 351. One option is to stroke your 302 to a 347 and you won't have to worry about getting new items such as the intake or accessory brackets.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
all depends on what you do with the truck,if its a daily driver. id stick with the 302 (even tho i hate'm) you have all the parts already so id either rebiuld stock or do the 347 witch gives the lil small block the guts it needs

Fellro

Staff member
Or you could just get a good running 390 there decent motors. That way you dont have to worry about changing motor mounts.

:scratch: :confused: Unless you are saying a 302 and a 390 have the same towers....

It does depend what you want from it. If you do nothing more than drive it, you can rework the 302, or put in a 351w and play with it. Big motors can definitely be fun, but can be thirsty (so can a stock 351W...)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts