Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'00 2wd front wheel bearings

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Friend just called me asking about the front wheel bearings in his 2000 Ranger XL. It's a 2wd 4-cyl.

Anyone know if the brakes/wheel brgs the same as my 1997 2wd 4-cylinder? I'm pretty sure they switched front suspensions between the years...but I've never really worked on his truck before.

Fellro

Staff member
According to the lookup, they are the same bearings.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK- thanks Roger. I just wasn't sure if they'd switched over to a sealed bearing.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure he's talking about a front brg- I picked up a message when I got to work this morning; haven't actually talked to him yet to find out what's going on...but if it's the front and the same setup as my '97 it's easy as pie. I know the rear's didn't change between the two trucks; those shouldn't be bad, either.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Turned into a moot point...he found another Ranger to commute with, so it didn't HAVE to happen this weekend.

Given his balance of free-time to spare cash, I can't say I blame him for paying someone else to do it...and two Rangers is always better than one.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Given his balance of free-time to spare cash, I can't say I blame him for paying someone else to do it...and two Rangers is always better than one.

Words of experience!

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
I have been looking for the first... My problem is that I can't deal with a standard cab, too tall, and with my back, need to recline a little, so a standard cab is not a good match for me. I deal with the ones we have at work, but I am not in them all day. 1/2 hour at a sitting max.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah...the extended cabs are really nice.

Both his trucks are bottom-rung...white single-cab XLs with 4-cyl/5-speeds. One's got the rear slider, but I think that's the only "option" between the two of 'em. Tough as nails, but wretched on a long drive. Not as cheap as they used to be, either, unfortunately.

(The real shame is that they didn't build more like my '97...it's an extended cab XLT, but still what most would consider a stripped-down truck. No A/C, no electric windows. Comfortable enough to drive all day, simple enough to run forever and be cheap/easy to fix.)

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Idk, my Ranger is loaded, and nothing about it really scares me as far as a mechanic's viewpoint goes. The 3.0 is actually designed much like the 302 EFI and 351 EFI in the F-series Trucks, Stangs, and Explorers. But then again, the 3.0 was stuck in time, and was the last of the Ranger engines to be OHV. I'd be scared if I had an SOHC or DOHC. I don't foresee tensioner/chain cassettes/chain assemblies being very fun to replace. And my power windows and locks are top of the line, but it doesn't really feel like it. The seats are absolutely rough, and are definitely not high quality. Maybe that has something to do with it.

racsan

4xford
i recently saw the front bearings in a '03 edge 2wd, looks like the same conventional spindle with a large inner/small outer bearing. the truck belongs to a neighbor, the day before he put on new rotors and pads, somehow forgot the inner bearings. (they were still in the old rotors) he drove it 2 miles into town and back. grooved the inside of the caliper, messed up the abs wheel on the rotors a little bit, no apparent sensor damage. rotors discolord some from the heat. he had already tossed the old rotors, so he had to go get new inner bearings & new seals. ive forgotton a few things before, but forgetting wheel bearings? thats a new one for me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts