Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger 1, Explorer 0

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So it snowed here yesterday, maybe 10-12 inches in total. Midafternoon, when there was about 8 on the ground, I went out for a ride in my 2wd Ranger. Studded snow tires in back, no weight besides the crap that lives in back. Took it out of the parking space, into town, and back, with no trouble (but a whole lot of fun...BdayBigGrin BdayBigGrin BdayBigGrin ).

Walking back inside, I see a girl shoveling snow out from under an Explorer, which I noticed was 4x4 as I got closer. Then I saw her boyfriend was in the driver's seat (nice guy, huh?). It took me, her, and another guy to push the Ex out of it's space, and as I was walking in, I noticed that he was stuck again on the tiny little rise coming out of the parking lot. I didn't go back to help; if he couldn't get out of there, he didn't stand much chance of getting all the way to town, and even less chance of making it back.

What you posted is the perfect example as to how much the drivers skills can make a difference regardless of the equipment.

Blue Goose is correct. I happen to own one of those 4x4 explorers. It gets around quite well in the slick stuff. Most of bad weather driving is the operator. Then again the 4.10 gears w/trac lock and new tires help too.

I would almost bet the girl (and her wonderful boyfriend!!!) had street tires (or just worn out) and didn't know how to use the 4X4. It is the same drivetrain as the ranger (of the same year), but weighs more.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Oh, I know. I'm sure I could have gotten that Explorer out of there without a push at all. My mother used to have a 2wd Explorer that would run rings around my Ranger in the snow because it was heavier in the back end.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts