Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 Gen 1 what year transmissions swap out?

Hello,

And yes I am new here! I have a 2001 F-250 SD 2-wheel drive Extended Cab Short Bed with a 7.3 Turbo Diesel and the 4R100 Automatic with Overdrive.

The truck has been sitting for a while because the transmission refuses to upshift from 2nd to third.

The truck has about 190K miles and I am debating on whether to break my bank and go for a remanufactured transmission or taking into a reliable shop and have them do a diagnostic on the transmission and see if there is something simple that can be done?

I read that the valve body may be the culprit with the 2-3 valve being stuck? I have never had the pan off the trans or any service to the trans since I owned the truck as the 2nd owner.

What years of transmissions will be identical? Is is 1999 to 2004? I thought the 7.3 Turbo was phased out in 2002? (anyone know?)

A reman trans is going to run me close to $3 grand. Not sure I want to put that into it but then used transmissions scare me!

So....What are your ideas here? Thanks! Bob in VA

Last edited:
Hello,

And yes I am new here! I have a 2001 F-250 SD 2-wheel drive Extended Cab Short Bed with a 7.3 Turbo Diesel and the 4R100 Automatic with Overdrive.

The truck has been sitting for a while because the transmission refuses to upshift from 2nd to third.

The truck has about 190K miles and I am debating on whether to break my bank and go for a remanufactured transmission or taking into a reliable shop and have them do a diagnostic on the transmission and see if there is something simple that can be done?

I read that the valve body may be the culprit with the 2-3 valve being stuck? I have never had the pan off the trans or any service to the trans since I owned the truck as the 2nd owner.

What years of transmissions will be identical? Is is 1999 to 2004? I thought the 7.3 Turbo was phased out in 2002? (anyone know?)

A reman trans is going to run me close to $3 grand. Not sure I want to put that into it but then used transmissions scare me!

So....What are your ideas here? Thanks! Bob in VA
25 views and no one replied?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Gotta remember not all views are registered users... Many are guests - the majority of which are actually bots, not humans.

I think you're right about 1999-2002... 2003 was the first year of the 6.0 and I don't know if a trans from a 6.0 will work for you or not. Someone else here will probably chime in with that info.

I guess if I was you I'd take it to a good transmission shop and have them look it over. Could be a valve body/solenoid issue that could be fixed for a reasonable price.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
AMCO did a good job with my mustangs tranny if you want to just get it rebuilt.. as to what years.. couldnt say for sure.. ive heard rumors the 7.3 and 6.0's had the same bolt locations for the transmissions but never been able to confirm it.. the 4R100's were pretty good trannys but just cannot say of the 5R110W would fit for you.. Like frank says id take it somewhere first and let them trouble shoot it first.. wouldnt want to dump a few grand on a tranny just to find out it could have been fixed with a $300 part

7.3PSD's ran through 2003... 2004 was the first year for the 6.0's... keep in mind though if someone says you can use the 5R110W trannys dont use anything but MotorCraft SP or LV in it... that tranny sits behind the 6.0's and is extremely sensitive to is fluid's..

Ford Truck Articles