Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

03 Ford F250 Scary steering problems

Hi all,
I am a frequent stalker of this website but do not post very often. My wifes 03 F250SD 7.3 4wd is having a steering issue as of recent that is a little unnerving. As you drive down the road it will seem fine but if you take a curve or turn it will start pulling side to side. It doesnt do this all the time and it doesnt seem to be picky about when it will start doing it. For example today my wife drove the truck to work and everything was fine, but on the way home exactly the same path just reversed the truck was fighting her all the way. It feels like its trying to pull one direction and when you pull it straight it will yank the other direction. I just had the truck up a few weeks ago and the steering/suspension components on the front are all tight. I do not have a steering stabilizer but cannot see how this would help at this point. It honestly feels like both front tires are toe'd out but only part of the time. Please someone help this is our nice vehicle and we are supposed to be taking it to NJ in a few weeks and i need to get this fixed. Sorry about the crap description my wife is trying to explain everything it does to me and is slightly less then ASE certified. Thanks for your help!

The ball joints seem to be in good shape. I had it up and checked everything and there is zero play any direction. That is why I'm really stumped.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Have you had the alignment checked, there really isnt much that goes wrong with the front ends of these trucks. The ball joints are usually bad at like 20+k. Even if they are tight, they could be seized if they arnt greaseable already.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Check the front axle ujoints if one is frozen up and the axle turns to the frozen spot the steering will get all sorts of weird untill the axle turns to the unfrozen part of the ujoint. You can remove the tie rod ends from the knuckles and see if the knuckles move free or are sticking, then rotate each axle shaft and try to move the knuckle again.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
2nd that, right on!

my steering seems to go on a high center this does not happen all the time I have had all new parts put in along with a new steering box and pump and I am lost I have tried everything that I can think of

messed up steering

I have replaced everything on the front of my F 250 super duty from ball joints to tie rods even replaced bearings u joints steering box power steering pump and it still feels like it high centers and then it will take off to one side or another I am at the end of my chain ready to loss my mind for I really love my truck

I am having the same problem with my 1999 F 250 super duty what have you been able to find out for me I have been dealing with this for about six months I have replaced everything from the steering box, power steering pump, ball joints tie rods inner/ outer new hub bearings u joints and it still picks when it wants to dart to one side or another I am ready to loss my mind this is my first ford truck that I really enjoy and take pride in for its in better shape then a lot of todays new ones

blacksnapon

Staff member
Alignment. When one is toed out, very slight turn to right, pulls hard right. Very slight turn left, pulls hard left.

Hi all,
I am a frequent stalker of this website but do not post very often. My wifes 03 F250SD 7.3 4wd is having a steering issue as of recent that is a little unnerving. As you drive down the road it will seem fine but if you take a curve or turn it will start pulling side to side. It doesnt do this all the time and it doesnt seem to be picky about when it will start doing it. For example today my wife drove the truck to work and everything was fine, but on the way home exactly the same path just reversed the truck was fighting her all the way. It feels like its trying to pull one direction and when you pull it straight it will yank the other direction. I just had the truck up a few weeks ago and the steering/suspension components on the front are all tight. I do not have a steering stabilizer but cannot see how this would help at this point. It honestly feels like both front tires are toe'd out but only part of the time. Please someone help this is our nice vehicle and we are supposed to be taking it to NJ in a few weeks and i need to get this fixed. Sorry about the crap description my wife is trying to explain everything it does to me and is slightly less then ASE certified. Thanks for your help!
Subscribed.....My 07 is doing exactly the same thing, mine seems to be brake related, by that I mean it will be fine until I use the brakes and then it will start this. I have noticed that my right front brake caliper is sticking on from time to time and when it is acting up seems to be when the steering issue is bothering. I haven't had time to do much to it but my first thing will be to fix the sticking brake issue and hopefully the steering issue will be corrected too. I'll post on here if that is the case or not I just can't say when I'll get to it.

Ford Truck Articles