Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 Bronco spare tire carrier

Sooooooooo...what did you end up doing? I'd still love to have a full size spare, but it looks like the only alternative I have is throw it in the cargo area. I found another reason why the strategy of having a tire repair kit won't always work either...when you have 3 slices between the tread that gets bigger with each revolution and a belt breaks causing a bulge which won't allow a proper patch.

Would you still like to buy a swing-away spare tire carrier? I have one that I'm not using so let me know. It's new and still in the box.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Would you still like to buy a swing-away spare tire carrier? I have one that I'm not using so let me know. It's new and still in the box.

Thanks...but I ended up just saying screw it and put a full size spare on the stock swing out carrier. It's been holding a 35x12.5x15 MT on an Alcoa rim since not too long after this thread started. And when I bump up to a 36 or 37" tire, I'll have no issues putting it on either.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hey fellas...I was wondering if anyone here knew what the maximum size/weight tire is that the stock external swing out arm can handle? I think JBG said they could handle upwards of 33's. However, I'm wanting to upgrade from a 31" spare...to a full size spare, 35". That being said, I'm a little worried the arm/tailgate/quarter panel may not be able to handle the weight. If that's the case, there are interior tire carriers right? Anyone know where exactly I could get one? I couldn't seem to find one on JBG. Thanks
You can remove the entire swing away spare tire carrier from your Bronco (IMO, it looks better without it) and install the type available on 1980/96's that mounts inside to the right quarter panel.

Ask Dennis to post this parts catalog pic:

1980/89 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog / Illustration Section 10.1, Page 3 ~ lower illustration.

The upper illustration (on this same page) is for 1980/89 (1975/79 & 1990/91 are the same) E100/350 w/an inside spare tire mount, which could also be adapted with a mod or two.

1992/96 Bronco: Ford offered a dealer installed swing away spare tire carrier that mounted to the rear bumper...not to the quarter panel.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts