Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Test fit of my new Ranger motor... pics!

FTF'er

I recently got a normal job where I'm home every day instead of a couple days a month, so I'm finally getting started on my '93 Ranger, and wanted to see how the motor would fit. Even though the motor has the wrong oil pan and isn't close to being ready, I still wanted to see how it looked in there...

I had this on one end...

2011-01-25_10-32-57_640.jpg

And this on the other end...

2011-01-25_10-33-18_187.jpg

So I was able to twist the motor about 45*, pointing the flexplate toward the passenger seat and the harmonic balancer toward the driver side headlight, and without any trouble at all was able to lower the motor in without hacking the core support...

2011-01-25_11-00-52_16.jpg

2011-01-25_11-13-39_514.jpg

Now maybe I'll have some time to ship some parts to Ben, lol, I haven't forgotten ya!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
thats a 460 ??

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looking good man...and don't worry about me...I figured you got busy, no rush at all.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to make a 302 (or 351) ranger with 4 wheel drive?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yep, people do it all the time.

I'v never seen a 460 Ranger though, much less a 4x4 460 ranger (talk about one SWEET truck though)

Yep, people do it all the time.

Just wondering cuz every 302 ranger I've ever seen/heard was only 2wd.

Now with a 460, won't you have to do some work on the suspension/axle for the additional weight?
What are you plans for that?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've been curious about the running gear as well...not too sure on ranger stuff at all...but I thought the 'best' axles available were a 31 spline 8.8 in the rear and a TTB D35 up front. One blip from the throttle and they're toast...so whacha going with?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Just wondering cuz every 302 ranger I've ever seen/heard was only 2wd.
/QUOTE]

Alot of times they are, but I'v seen both.

Alto of Ranger mud trucks are 302's though.

One blip from the throttle and they're toast...so whacha going with?

Won't break axles, if it never hooks up. As soon as it does, it's gonna snap crackle and pop though.

I have a feeling there might be a narrowed 9" in the picture somewhere..

Fellro

Staff member
Friend of mine has done the V8 swaps, and tells me it is as close to bolt in as you can get. Would much rather do a Ranger than an S10. I have heard of 460 swaps, but I'm sure they are pretty extensive to get put in.

2wd would be easier because you don't have to deal with the front driveshaft issue, as well as what to use for a transfer case. I'm sure it is reasonably doable, just more figuring and modding.

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
wow! thats a tight fit

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts