Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tech: put a 5 speed behind your flathead!

tinman52

Tin bender
Follow along with me as I install a Borg Warner 5 speed in my '52 F-1.

A little background......my F-1 has a mostly stock flathead V8 and a column shifted 3 speed trans. It runs and drives good, but really needs a couple extra gears. Especially on hills...
I'm also hoping to gain some mpg's on longer trips.

So I picked up a t-5 trans from a '90 S-10 and an adapter ...
There are a zillion t-5 articles on the web, so I won't go into all of the technical differences of these transmissions.
This is your basic non world class t-5....I did pull it apart and check for any problems. It was really clean inside and the bearings and syncro's looked real good.
Fingers crossed...

DSCN1515.jpg

Stay tuned...

tinman52

Tin bender
Adapters

There are a couple of adapters out there to do this swap......I chose the Dwight Bond type adapter plate. This requires a "hogshead" from a 4 speed truck trans (I have several laying around) and also an input bearing retainer from an early Ford CAR trans.
I bought the adapter, pilot bearing and correct clutch disk from Dick Spadaro early Ford parts. www.dickspadaro.com

The adapter plate looks very well made....

DSCN1844.jpg

Hogs head

DSCN1841.jpg

Bearing retainer

DSCN1843.jpg

Pic of the old trans ready to come out.....my weekend project.

DSCN1847.jpg

tinman52

Tin bender
The best laid plans....

I was sure the truck had a 10" clutch in it already, so I assumed I could re-use the flywheel.....
Turns out it has an 11" clutch, so now I have no flywheel. I have like 8 flathead flywheels laying around, but no 10".

Any of you flathead guys have an extra laying around?

Will call the machine shop Monday and see about redrilling one. I could use the 10" disc on the 11" PP, but prefer not to. Whichever flywheel I use, it will be resurfaced and balanced with the pressure plate.

I pulled the old trans and clutch yesterday by myself....it looks small, but is still pretty heavy!
I also need to remove the column shifter while every thing is apart.

Old tranny out....

DSCN1855.jpg

5 speed with adapter and bell housing mocked up

DSCN1858.jpg

Input shaft with a junk release bearing mocked up

DSCN1857.jpg

havi

third member
Not nearly as heavy as the crashbox 4sp. :D

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The best laid plans....

I was sure the truck had a 10" clutch in it already, so I assumed I could re-use the flywheel.....
Turns out it has an 11" clutch, so now I have no flywheel. I have like 8 flathead flywheels laying around, but no 10".

Any of you flathead guys have an extra laying around?

I don't - sorry. Even my 48 half-ton with the 3 spd HD trans uses an 11" clutch....

The smaller clutches I have are all on 21 studders or 59ABs

tinman52

Tin bender
I don't - sorry. Even my 48 half-ton with the 3 spd HD trans uses an 11" clutch....

The smaller clutches I have are all on 21 studders or 59ABs
Thanks for checking Tim....it was worth a shot!
I have located a correct flywheel, but I may have to buy the entire engine to get it.:headbang: Is that really a bad thing though? Can't have too many flatties...
Also going to see the machinist tomorrow about redrilling one. I couldn't have picked a worse time to do this swap....I literally have a dozen other projects going on at the same time...:violin:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I am curious about how strong the T from the S10 is. What is the HP and TQ rating that they can handle?

tinman52

Tin bender
What's the difference between the car type bearing retainer and the truck version? Can the truck part not be made to work?
The truck style has a slightly larger bolt pattern, otherwise the same. The light duty 3 speed that I removed also has the car style retainer......

tinman52

Tin bender
After several delays and distractions I finally have a little update......
I got my flywheel back from the machine shop, re-drilled and surfaced. Looks great. Hopefully I can get the trans stabbed in the next couple days. Then make a new crossmember and get a new drive shaft made, etc, etc.

tinman52

Tin bender
Trans is in!!!!!! Well kinda.......it is bolted up to the engine anyway.
It slid in like a dream, no problems. Next I have to build a mount/ x-member as the old one is not in the right place. I will pick up some box tube in the AM and hopefully get it welded up tomorrow.

A pic as proof..:)

DSCN1866.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts