Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thousand Islands?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm planning a long-weekend camping trip, probably sometime in September...was thinking of heading to Acadia National Park, but a couple months ago I passed through the Thousand Islands in NY, and it looked awful pretty.

Don't really know much about the area, though- anybody got any insight to offer? What to do/see? How it might compare to the Acadia area?

I'm a tent-camper, but I don't like campground cooking- it's a vacation, and cooking and cleanup is just too damned much work in the great outdoors. So enough of a town, near enough by that I can buy at least some meals is a big plus.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
john112deere said:
I'm planning a long-weekend camping trip, probably sometime in September...was thinking of heading to Acadia National Park, but a couple months ago I passed through the Thousand Islands in NY, and it looked awful pretty.

Don't really know much about the area, though- anybody got any insight to offer? What to do/see? How it might compare to the Acadia area?

I'm a tent-camper, but I don't like campground cooking- it's a vacation, and cooking and cleanup is just too damned much work in the great outdoors. So enough of a town, near enough by that I can buy at least some meals is a big plus.

Sounds like you don't need info or lobbying for Bar Harbor...love that area!

Not familiar with any other places!

I'm super jealous!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Four years of college in Orono, I spent a little time down in Acadia- never was much a fan of the town of Bar Harbor, but I like the rest of the area.

You won't catch me there in July or August, though...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Salad Dressing.

Ryan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
john112deere said:
Four years of college in Orono, I spent a little time down in Acadia- never was much a fan of the town of Bar Harbor, but I like the rest of the area.

You won't catch me there in July or August, though...

Too busy/crowded? Weather not so bad by the water.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Too busy/crowded? Weather not so bad by the water.

Weather is certainly nicer there than most of the rest of the state...but once you've grown accustomed to having the place to yourself (like you do in, say April or October), it's hard to handle the crowds in peak season.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
john112deere said:
Weather is certainly nicer there than most of the rest of the state...but once you've grown accustomed to having the place to yourself (like you do in, say April or October), it's hard to handle the crowds in peak season.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
1000-islands-bridge.jpg

I think this is the bridge I was driving over when I got the (very limited) view I did of the area...

Perhaps Mr. Goose has heard of this attraction?
Antique Boat Museum

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You sure seem to take some cool vacations Ian. O for the single, no kid life again.

Yep- I'm well aware how lucky I am to be able to do the nutty stuff I do...and I figure I really ought to take advantage of it while I can. So I do.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
john112deere said:
Yep- I'm well aware how lucky I am to be able to do the nutty stuff I do...and I figure I really ought to take advantage of it while I can. So I do.

Some wise words there!!!!!

My wife and I did it and when the little guy came, life changed just a tad!

Ford Truck Articles