Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

dash wipedown?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Time for a semi-annual thorough hogging-out of the pickup, before the winter...

What are people liking for a quick cleaning of modern interior plastics, like the dash and door panels?

Nothing spilled on it, just dusty.

I don't like (won't use) ArmorAll. If it makes it shiny, I'm not interested.

Damp paper towel leaves "streaks". Not the end of the world, but kinda defeats the purpose of cleaning it- looks better with an even coating of dust, IMO.

Windex wipes seem like they might be a good choice, but I'm not sure what they'll do to the plastic.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I use Windex or Pledge with a micro fiber towell.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I use a California Duster to start...then pledge with cleaning microfiber, followed with a dry polishing microfiber.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I had a turtle wax interior/plastic cleaner/polish from yeeears ago. I'm not sure if they still sell it, but I'm convinced it kept my dash in as good of shape as possible. It made it a little more shiny, but the oils and waxes in there lasted a long time and really kept my old 94 dash in great shape, even when sitting outside 24/7.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I've been seeing windex and other common household cleaners mentioned. I just have to play contrarian and and say 'no way'. Those types of cleaners will dry out a plastic in a hurry.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah...can't say I'm real worried about drying it out, though. Not that I want it cracked, of course...it just that:

-we're talking a couple times a year. My trucks never get real dirty, but they're seldom really clean, either.

-sun intensity is way less in this part of the country than, say, the desert southwest.

-realistically, between the road salt and the miles I put on, this truck's lifespan will be between 10-15 years, and probably on the shorter end of that

Also- Pledge? Do normal people have this kicking around the house? Or do you go out and buy it for your truck?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Also- Pledge? Do normal people have this kicking around the house? Or do you go out and buy it for your truck?

There are two reasons I have Pledge...mmy mother thought I would dust my apartment for some reason when I was at school, so I have a box of the stuff. Secondly, I've always been told Pledge is what should be used on a boat's gel coat...so we always have some ready after a fishing trip.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I always keep Pledge around for the house and car stuffs. Works well on vinyl, leather, stainless steel, etc.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
I also use Turtle Wax Interior Cleaner. It reconditioned the interior and cleaned off all the grime in my '97

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
What are people liking for a quick cleaning of modern interior plastics, like the dash and door panels?

Nothing spilled on it, just dusty.

Ancient thread Ian (and found while looking for something else, lol), but here's how to quickly clean interiors that are dusty. Go out there on a day with a gentle breeze and open the doors. Next, use your compressor and the blow tip, and go to town blowing that dust out of all those nooks and crannies that people (me included) used to spend hours and hours digging out with rags. Blow away until it's clean; that gentle breeze is to move it away from your truck.

If there is a need for a bit more cleaning, what I like to do before blowing is to use a car wash mitt and a bucket of hot water and with the damp mitt, wipe down the interior and dry with a towel. Then, for the dust and lint free interior, use the compressed air.

I don't like (won't use) ArmorAll. If it makes it shiny, I'm not interested.

ArmorAll on interiors. Do it over and over and the plastic develops a slimy, permanent, scummy feel, yuck. What a "great" product for making used cars really look like.......a used car.

***Edit: Once you go out there and use compressed air to clean your interior, you will realize just how gross and dirty it really was and how for years you hadn't really got all the dirt out but rather, masked it by only cleaning part of the interior. Enjoy the time savings too!!!

Last edited:

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Recently switched to products from Griot's Garage. A little expensive up front but they last you a long time.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I was getting Vinyl cleaner and protectant from the dealership i bought my stang from for free... Made by a company out of richmond called Commodore Coatings. It left a small shine but nothing glarey... but restored the nutrients that the sun stripped from the dash. I actually liked it.. And the dealership said because of their contract with the company if the dash ever did crack it would be free to me to replace it. But the downside was when the dealership was bought out and closed i lost my access to it... also lost free state inspections for life too... THANK YOU FORD FOR THAT!!!! so much for honoring your own customers...

Ford Truck Articles