Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Backup lights

Hey so i have done a cab swap and i have a 79 cab on a 77 frame. I replaced the Rear harness to be the 79 harness so that made everything easy..But i don't get backup lights when i put it in reverse( its an automatic 4x4 1/2ton) Am i forgetting to plug something in?? I'm thinking there should be something from my tranny i'm forgetting to plug in....anyone have pics of what is the wiring for this? Maybe which plug does this where it goes inside???

In 78 the NSS/BU light switch was moved from the steering column to the side of the transmission.

What year trans do you have and what year steering column is in that truck ?

If everything is hooked up correctly, the NSS/BU eithers needs cleaning or replacing.

The beside the trans switch gets very filthy and stops working.

Last edited:
I have a 77 tranny...And 77 steering colum to match my 4x4 stuff because the cab is a 79 2wd the colums didn't match up. Thats why it didnt have the second plug on the steering colum. Which wires on the cab side are for the BU light so i can wire up my steering colum control. That is what the little adj shifter thing on the bottom is for then. Its mainly 2 wires on there that i need i think.

BU Light wire is Black w/red stripe

76-78UnderhoodWiringDiagram.jpg

1977 Steering colum NSS/BU Light switch

NSSscrew.jpg

I put the screw in there because the tab broke off inside the switch.

I can start in any gear :) lolololol

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Safety last :rofl2:

haha i'm all about that. Ok good so i cut off the wiring to the 79 tranny so i could just run the 4 wires off the original plug from the cab to the switch which i had to run wires back into my cab to the switch on the colom - hooked the 4 wires up and boom Perfect! Got backups and neutral safety...BUTTT always a but...The stupid switch must be buggered a bit because if i shift from neutral into drive i have a contact that fires up my backup lights but if i wiggle my colum in the right way or it falls into place better it is off like it should be.....:headbang: so figure new switch is in order...

Last edited:
and i know the switch is in the right place because it only starts in park or neutral and that the stupid switch lights up the rear backups in 2 places a bit..UNLESS i somehow mixed up some wires that it is in a 2 position giving power? maybe i have the backups hooked to the neutral safety positions is that even possible?

ALWAYS MAKE THE ADJUSTMENT IN NEUTRAL ...NOT PARK

damn caps was locked..sorry

75-77WiringDiagram3.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts