Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

State Police Bronco (Pic)

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Found this online. Neat 1988 Bronco from the Mass. State Police. I've heard they used a few of them throughout the 90's in fleet services.

88MSPbronco_zps00719605.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Found this online. Neat 1988 Bronco from the Mass. State Police. I've heard they used a few of them throughout the 90's in fleet services.

88MSPbronco_zps00719605.jpg

That thing is freakin awesome!

460Trucker

460Trucker

Doug,
I'm not sure. It was on a police car reference site. If you google "Mass State Police Bronco" theres some 92-96 body style ones that are definitley auction pieces

Thats a cool one from Idaho right there!

460Trucker

Found another:

7040233485_65d5e43dbe_z.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Doug,
I'm not sure. It was on a police car reference site. If you google "Mass State Police Bronco" theres some 92-96 body style ones that are definitley auction pieces

Thats a cool one from Idaho right there!

Thank you, Mike.

Sheriff Longmire drove a '94 Bronco

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

460Trucker

I wonder if we're allowed to drive with the lights on.....probably depends on each states laws.

:)

I know in MA they have to be removed along with most of the identifying decals.

I believe the little BroncoII was even used

Hopefully some pics turn up! That would be neat to see.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I wonder if we're allowed to drive with the lights on.....probably depends on each states laws.

In Montana, EVERYTHING has to be removed, and is generally removed by the agency before the vehicle is put up for auction.

460Trucker

I've seen some ex-police vehicles that have everything but the commonwealth or town/city seal left on the door.

Came here looking for some info on the V10's for a potential vehicle and came across this thread and thought I'd post.

Mass State Police used several Bronco's, most of which were for commercial enforcement. Troop E and Troop F are funded separately from the rest of the troops, so those two Troop F trucks (Logan Airport/Massport) above could very well been used for almost anything. There was also an unmarked Bronco on Martha's Vineyard and a marked vehicle on Nantucket Island. I have contacted the owner of the one from Martha's Vineyard numerous times and never received a response. I am the current owner of the one that served on Nantucket Island.

When the MSP auctions take place, vehicles are stripped (by state troopers) and often times, you'll never be able to buy a 100% complete car (Troop E & F is done separately, so you're more apt to get a complete vehicle). When auctioned, all decals, lights and many times much more is removed from the vehicle. The only vehicles I've ever seen or heard of being sold with decals are ones that are so damaged, it defeats the purpose of taking the time to take them off. If you want to see how my Bronco was auctioned, you can see pics in my photo gallery. Also, in MA state auctions you have to sign a document stating that if the vehicle is going to be registered or resold, the vehicle is required to be repainted to a non-French and Electric Blue paint scheme.

As far as driving police cars, laws do indeed vary by state. They also vary by which agency your vehicle is from when driving in certain states. In Massachusetts, you can not drive a marked MSP car or any two-toned French and Electric Blue paint scheme vehicle in the state. You will get pulled over... no questions asked. I'm very fortunate. Being that I show my MSP cars aside the Mass State Police Museum and Learning Center, I have permission to drive my cars in Massachusetts. Even though my vehicles use magnetic decals since they wear their original paint from while in-service, I cover all my lights and put several "Not in Service" magnets all around the vehicle, whether they are on the road or on a trailer. When I lived in Maine, I drove it locally with just my lights covered and no markings with no issues. In CT, especially since I live a few miles from the Mass border, I don't take my truck out for casual drives due to the color scheme and my mounted equipment. It became strictly a show vehicle.

As for the use of Bronco II's, there were only a few places that used them. The most noted user was actually the Georgia State Patrol. They were used for forest/park work and one is still owned by them. That one has been tracked down by a friend of mine and if the opportunity comes up, I'd like to buy it and restore it to sit aside my Mass State Police Bronco.

460Trucker

Wow thanks for the information!
Really cool photos too. Been meaning to get out to the Museum and Learning Center, but have not had the time yet.

Ford Truck Articles