Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford c series combos

Zuma

California Chapter member
I was wondering what kind of engine,transmissions,brakes,axles,wheel bases could one have with their C? I would love to find a very short wheelbase dump truck with a gas engine,(CARB and their diesel crap) automatic transmission,air brakes, be heavy duty but be right at 26k lbs so I wouldn't have to get a class B license(medical reasons,I would get my class b in a heartbeat if I could!) and on top of that which engine and transmission combination would be best for my thoughts?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
BTW, The Ford " C " cab was also built by BUDD, and used by Mack.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Look down this subforum a bit and there is a scanned brochure on the 1979 C series....I'd link it but am posting from an uncooperative tablet

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

Zuma

Cool thanks you guys! I'm shocked on how many 5 speeds you could get on one of the c series!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool thanks you guys! I'm shocked on how many 5 speeds you could get on one of the c series!

I might have another brochure, I'll have a look.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

They were a 4 speed with a low tho!
started low then 1 2 3 4
Bigger trucks had another transmission,
you shifted L1234, then shifted the 2nd trans into 2, first trans back to L,1234. that was a 10 spd
15 spd had a 3 speed aux trans. there were also 13 and 20 speeds.

there was also a 2 speed rear.......

Last edited:

Zuma

That sounds cool! I don't need that many gears that's for sure!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Naaa, Looks like you're looking for something around 25,000 GVW.
Non CDL

Probably end up with the 5 spd ( L 1234 ) and a electric shift 2 speed rear.
PTO will be mechanical off the side of the transmission for the hydraulic pump on the dump body

Zuma

sounds spot on but my dad got a new truck.

Ford Truck Articles