Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help with what I have, AOD or E4OD?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
92 Bronco XLT

From reading the boards on FSB, I THINK I have an E4OD and thought all along it was AOD.

Can any of you fellas confirm and is there a way to find out from the VIN? Or by looking at the tranny itself?

Thanks

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
How does your gear selector read?

P R N (D) D 1 : this is an AOD.. Cancel over drive by putting it to the d without the circle..

P R N (D) 2 1 : E4OD... Can cancel over drive by the button on end of gear selector stalk..

blacksnapon

Staff member
an AOD has a square(ish) pan. E4OD pan is elongated.
E4OD.jpg

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
an AOD has a square(ish) pan. E4OD pan is elongated.

Bronc is at the garage, but might have pics on here...or I could just call him or show up....but need to know in order to get the right drive shaft.

How does your gear selector read?

P R N (D) D 1 : this is an AOD.. Cancel over drive by putting it to the d without the circle..

P R N (D) 2 1 : E4OD... Can cancel over drive by the button on end of gear selector stalk..

Awesome...thanks!! You guys are good....I have the push button at the end of the arm and no extra D, do I must have the E4OD.

Much more helpful than the fellas on fsb.....they're pretty hard core over there, but tough on newbies.

2012-08-12_11-50-13_864.jpg

It's on the driver side door sill/jamb plate.
Tran code...TR...if it's E..E4OD

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
e40d has 19 bolts in the pan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
More confusion?

Crap, I thought I was all set, now I'm beginning to wonder again....I just don't want to order the wrong shaft, then lose having the Bronco for another week or two.....maybe I'll call the mechanic and have him measure the shaft for me. It looks like according to Broncograveyard and Rockauto and a few other sites, it comes down to two different shafts depending on the type of transmission and the only difference in the shaft is the length.

e40d has 19 bolts in the pan

Looks like an AODE to me, but maybe I don't have the right view.

Ford-transID08.gif

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It is a E4OD.... I'm telling you

Thanks Chris....I WAS :headbang: 100% sure after I checked the door tag and looked at the dash and arm, but the last few post have put doubt in my mind :headbang:.

Is it possible the rig was modified somehow in the past (like put in a new tranny, or a new motor - 302 to 351?)? Even if it was, it still has to be the E4OD because of the push button overdrive right?

I'm going to order the damn shaft today regardless, but it might be worth a call to the mechanic who has my rig and have him measure the shaft to be sure and I'll still be able to order it this morning.

Thanks again!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks Chris....I WAS :headbang: 100% sure after I checked the door tag and looked at the dash and arm, but the last few post have put doubt in my mind :headbang:.

Is it possible the rig was modified somehow in the past (like put in a new tranny, or a new motor - 302 to 351?)? Even if it was, it still has to be the E4OD because of the push button overdrive right?

I'm going to order the damn shaft today regardless, but it might be worth a call to the mechanic who has my rig and have him measure the shaft to be sure and I'll still be able to order it this morning.

Thanks again!

Ken,

I don't mean to confuse even more, but the picture of your Vin tag indicates the Bronco came from the factory with a 351 engine. The eighth digit(H) indicates the engine as a 351.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken,

I don't mean to confuse even more, but the picture of your Vin tag indicates the Bronco came from the factory with a 351 engine. The eighth digit(H) indicates the engine as a 351.

Doug thanks....nope, that gives me more confidence what I need....apparently the 302 requires a different shaft regardless of the tranny, so this is good news. I did wonder what came from the factory. I DO KNOW the engine in there is the 351W 5.8L V8, so at least I can hang my hat on those definitives.

So, it looks like the ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY other thing that could make me go the only other direction (only 2 options now) would be if the tranny was swapped.

I think I'm 99.98931989% sure I have the right part now! :wasntme:

Dang it, this is frustrating!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
AOD was dropped completely from the Bronco model in 1991 when the E4OD became the only automatic. Don't take my word for it though, just ask Ford.

Then why do they sell the optional drive shaft for an AOD through 1996 models?

Anyways, EVEN after having my mechanic measure, there's still a question because we have compressed lengths and extended lengths, as well as lengths for both from ujoint to ujoint, or from end of shaft to end of shaft....I give up....if it takes another few weeks to get the right part, that's just the way it'll have to be.

I did order what I and broncograveyard thought was the correct one and we'll see if it fits, if not, no big deal, a little more shipping and we WILL have the correct one because there's only one other option if the one I just ordered is in correct!

Phew!

smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts