Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help with what I have, AOD or E4OD?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Ken..In all honesty anytime ive had to replace a driveshaft,I have Measured the rear shaft measure from the snout (part that slides into the trans) to the u-joint cup with the shaft extended.Now if the vehicle is raised off the ground on a lift the measurement will be extended lenght for the rear differential/suspension travels down away from the vehicle when raised.on the ground or the rear differential is supported by jackstands compressed lenght. i always went by extended lenght if the old shaft is available.this will give you room to play in "slide"adjustment when reinstalling.for if you measure it compressed you may come up short as the driveshaft needs to extend for suspension travel purpose.. hope this clarifies this for you.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
5.0Flareside said:
Not for sure why would they drop it from the bronco but not te F150??
I have a 92 with a factory AOD...

But they're still showing shafts for Bronco years 92-96 for sale on multiple auto supply stores online.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Not for sure why would they drop it from the bronco but not te F150??
I have a 92 with a factory AOD...

Per my Kelly Bluebook Blue Book New Car Pricing Manual, third edition, 1992:

The EOD was the only automatic available on the Bronco.

On pickups, however, the AOD was still available in F150 Regular Cabs with the 4.9 & 5.0 L motors (XL Trim only), and on Extended Cabs with the 5.0L motor (no trim restrictions).

The reason, I'm guessing, was price. The AOD was rougly $190 cheaper than the EOD, and fleet bids made up a large portion of the pickup business. Same reason a three-speed Automatic was offered on F250's that yr w/GVW's over 8500 lbs (n/a on 7.5 or 7.3 motors).

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Per my Kelly Bluebook Blue Book New Car Pricing Manual, third edidtion, 1992:

The EOD was the only automatic available on the Bronco.

On pickups, however, the AOD was still available in F150 Regular Cabs with the 4.9 & 5.0 L motors (XL Trim only), and on Extended Cabs with the 5.0L motor (no trim restrictions).

The reason, I'm guessing, was price. The AOD was rougly $190 cheaper than the EOD, and fleet bids made up a large portion of the pickup business. Same reason a three-speed Automatic was offered on F250's that yr w/GVW's over 8500 lbs (n/a on 7.5 or 7.3 motors).

But my flareside is an XLT..... But other than that this all makes since

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Wasn't looking at Flaresides. That came as part of a Special Value Package (code 47E), only available in the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. Showed a discount of $1105 wholesale and $1300 retail.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I'm figuring that is like all order books.. They group the trucks broncos and econolines together even if some things like the AOD may not cross over.. Why have 2 different manuals because minor differences like a transmission option

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Im with Chris... E4OD is the only one with the OD cancel button. E4OD is the only one that was available behind a 351.

You're wrong about that, AODE equipped vehicles also have the cancel button in the end of the shifter. I am changing my vote to E4OD as well in your FSB.

It is a E4OD.... I'm telling you

You guys are almost always spot on with this rigs!!!! Thanks a bunch..

Just got it back yesterday from the garage and the verdict is: E4OD! smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts