Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Opinions on a couple of Broncos on ebay please

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Saw this on super close to me, a few hours even:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3154449193.html

See if you guys have any thoughts on this one while still having my eyes on that 96 on ebay, which just looks super clean. Thanks,

Looks like a good solid rig. However, in my experience, the 302 flat out is not enough engine in the full sizes of the era, compound that with whether he regeared with those meats or not, plan on being flipped off by old ladies. Next order of disdain, I have never liked the AOD trannies, some guys like them, some have good luck with them and some say they have good potential...I have personally only ever had problems with them.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks like a good solid rig. However, in my experience, the 302 flat out is not enough engine in the full sizes of the era, compound that with whether he regeared with those meats or not, plan on being flipped off by old ladies. Next order of disdain, I have never liked the AOD trannies, some guys like them, some have good luck with them and some say they have good potential...I have personally only ever had problems with them.

My experience with a 302 in a van and AOD was that the only time the vehicle went into overdrive was on a downhill slope. This was with stock gearing and stock tires. Compound that with larger wheels/tires and you have a vehicle with O/D that gets very little use.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

My experience with a 302 in a van and AOD was that the only time the vehicle went into overdrive was on a downhill slope. This was with stock gearing and stock tires. Compound that with larger wheels/tires and you have a vehicle with O/D that gets very little use.

REALLY APPRECIATE the feedback....I swore I'd never buy another Ford without at least getting your guys' opinion. smilieFordlogo

So, let me ask you this....for what we're using it for, power may not be an issue if we're just tooling around town with the fam; going to church; movies, etc....right? Or would the o/d be an issue here.....average speed would be 30-50 tooling around, even city to city where the max speed limits are 45 and 50?

I sent him a text and haven't heard back yet, so not even sure it's still around...would guess that it is....rigs like that don't move in Maine; not very fast anyways.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Around town youll probably get better fuel mileage out of a 351 than a 302...

And OD wouldn't really come into play anyway.

I like the 92-96 bodystyle the best, so I'd go with that if it was me...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Around town youll probably get better fuel mileage out of a 351 than a 302...

And OD wouldn't really come into play anyway.

I like the 92-96 bodystyle the best, so I'd go with that if it was me...

Yeah, thanks....I like the 96 body style better, but I still like the way the 87 looks....the guy just got back to me and sent me some interior pics...looks nice....I'll see if I can get them off the phone and on here.

I also asked him about the motor, if it was rebuilt and his text said that it was brand new 6 months ago and has receipts for it....so that's attractive and it's efi.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I've started the questions......I also noticed in the 91, the tranny was redone also....but like you said, I really want the lift, so might lean towards that one and start asking some of the lift questions Ben brought up....maybe even ask him to send close ups I can list here.

The 91 auction ended yesterday with the high bid at $4150 and he relisted it with his reserve lowered by $500, from 5900 to now 5500.

Saw this on super close to me, a few hours even:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3154449193.html

See if you guys have any thoughts on this one while still having my eyes on that 96 on ebay, which just looks super clean. Thanks,

So, this guy has been Johnny on the spot with my questions via text...

-motor is a brand new crate motor 6 months ago was installed
-lift was done professionally and he has documents for it
-he has 31's that go with the rig in order to pass state inspection, may be high enough for me with these instead of the 35's, especially if the wifey is going to use it (it's old enough to register as an antique as well - 25 years)
-it's never seen mud, this guy is the second owner and it's been babied all it's life (he says), is his second vehicle, so it's not his dd

Offered him $5k and he countered with $6k, seems like a good deal....anyone? May go check it out this weekend? He's only a few hours away from me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't do it...enough newer/better rigs out there for the same price. You seem eager on getting a bko but also seem to be rushing in to the first shiney rig you see...maybe I'm wrong. Lemme just say, I've had at least one fsb from every era...and nothing in the 80-91 era will come close to a 92-96. Pre-94's had E4OD gremlins...so for a family hauler, I'd really focus on a 95-96...everything after that is just preference.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So, this guy has been Johnny on the spot with my questions via text...

-motor is a brand new crate motor 6 months ago was installed
-lift was done professionally and he has documents for it
-he has 31's that go with the rig in order to pass state inspection, may be high enough for me with these instead of the 35's, especially if the wifey is going to use it (it's old enough to register as an antique as well - 25 years)
-it's never seen mud, this guy is the second owner and it's been babied all it's life (he says), is his second vehicle, so it's not his dd

Offered him $5k and he countered with $6k, seems like a good deal....anyone? May go check it out this weekend? He's only a few hours away from me.

General thoughts, in the order of your bullets:
-Why does a 90k chassis need a crate motor? I'd ask him.
-Professional means different things to different people. I have much higher standards than a vast majority of the population. Your results may vary.
-Personally, I wouldn't run around Farmington much on tires that were bigger than is actually legal. (31s yes, 35s no, on that rig...unless they changed the laws again) It's asking for trouble, in that town. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get CAUGHT swapping to littler tires for a sticker... (And I say that as a guy who's run thousands of miles in Maine with expired inspection stickers...Again, your results may vary.)
-This is purely my personal opinion, but building a mud truck and never putting it in the mud is dumb. So either the guy's an idiot or a liar. Not sure which is worse, under these circumstances.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
UTfball68 said:
I wouldn't do it...enough newer/better rigs out there for the same price. You seem eager on getting a bko but also seem to be rushing in to the first shiney rig you see...maybe I'm wrong. Lemme just say, I've had at least one fsb from every era...and nothing in the 80-91 era will come close to a 92-96. Pre-94's had E4OD gremlins...so for a family hauler, I'd really focus on a 95-96...everything after that is just preference.

You're right Ben....I just want something that will be a decent family tool around vehicle that I'd enjoy on my own which is why I'm drawn to a more modern Bronco ; ac, ps, pb, auto, 4wf for winter, all the things needed so wifey could drive it.

I'll keep looking and try to be a little patient.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
john112deere said:
General thoughts, in the order of your bullets:
-Why does a 90k chassis need a crate motor? I'd ask him.
-Professional means different things to different people. I have much higher standards than a vast majority of the population. Your results may vary.
-Personally, I wouldn't run around Farmington much on tires that were bigger than is actually legal. (31s yes, 35s no, on that rig...unless they changed the laws again) It's asking for trouble, in that town. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get CAUGHT swapping to littler tires for a sticker... (And I say that as a guy who's run thousands of miles in Maine with expired inspection stickers...Again, your results may vary.)
-This is purely my personal opinion, but building a mud truck and never putting it in the mud is dumb. So either the guy's an idiot or a liar. Not sure which is worse, under these circumstances.

THAT IS A GOOD POINT ON THE STICKER. He did say it was a second vehicle, but like you said.....can't drive it around Maine like that. I was planning on leaving the 31s on for that reason.

With that said, this year will qualify for antique plates and certain driving conditions.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Antique plates on an '87? You're makin' me feel old...

Ford Truck Articles