Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

driveaway shudder

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
06-23-4 DRIVE-AWAY SHUDDER OR VIBRATION

Publication Date: November 3, 2006

FORD: 1999-2007 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 05-17-6 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles may exhibit excessive drive-away shudder or vibration, under moderate to heavy acceleration from a stop. This may be due to driveline angle.

ACTION:
Shim the center carrier bracket downward to correct the condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

When shimming the center carrier bracket, a maximum of three (3) 1/4" shims may be used (EOTZ-4A209-A). When refastening the carrier bracket use bolt (56564-S2). A 7/16 x 14 grade 5 bolt may be substituted providing that it extends at least three (3) threads past the nut. Use Motorcraft® Threadlock 262, and torque bolts to 46 lb-ft (62 N-m).

NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS NORMALLY LOADED, ROAD TESTS WILL NEED TO BE PERFORMED WITH THE VEHICLE LOADED.

Before beginning the repair, road test the vehicle to gain a feel for the harshness of the shudder/vibration.
Install one (1) shim, (DO NOT use threadlock on the bolts at this point), re-road test vehicle.
If condition is corrected, apply threadlock and torque bolts as directed above.
If condition is not corrected, re-perform step 2 (to a maximum of three (3) shims) and reevaluate vehicle.
NOTE: IF THE CONDITION IS STILL NOT CORRECTED AFTER INSTALLING A MAXIMUM OF THREE (3) SHIMS, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 205-00 FOR FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
EOTZ-4A209-A Shim
56564-S2 Bolt
TA-26 Motorcraft® Threadlock 262

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks Vince! Funny, I always thought the shudder in mine was from launching in 4WD at 20 PSI boost. I'll have to look into this. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts