Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

02 F250 Stiff Linkage

2002 F250 4WD HD automatic.

The shifting linkage is very stiff,,,, once in the proper selection, the transmission operates fine, at first we thought the cable was corroded or gummed up,,,,but when wiggling the shifter the cable moves with shifter,,, it is like it is in the transmission, or at the point where the lever enters transmission. No problems once in 'Drive',,,, you just need to push or pull very hard to move the shifter.

Now,,, my mechanic just got a 1998 F250HD 4WD in for brake work,,, it has the 'same' stiff shifter thing going on. Any ideas or other cases ?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I have seen the transmission range sensor get bound up causing this concern. The sensor is mounted on the shaft that goes inside the trans where the cable attatches.

ok,,,thanks for the reply,,,,,,, is that something that will need to be replaced, or can it be lubed up with penetrating spray or something ?

OK,thanks again,,,,, I am ordering a new one now,,,,

I tried to remove the shift cable,,, do you just get mean and pop/pry it off,, or does something slide or move on the cable end to let it come off trans/sensor ?

Instructions I have found just say to 'remove cable',,,,,, but is there a secret code to do that ?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
OK,thanks again,,,,, I am ordering a new one now,,,,

I tried to remove the shift cable,,, do you just get mean and pop/pry it off,, or does something slide or move on the cable end to let it come off trans/sensor ?

Instructions I have found just say to 'remove cable',,,,,, but is there a secret code to do that ?

It's on a ball socket so it just pops off.

Thank You d-kuzmen !!!!!

I got my F250 'stiff shifter' problem fixed !!!

It is the transmission range sensor located on the shifter side of the transmission. The sensor costs from 30 to 70 bucks depending on where you get it.

It is a simple plastic switch, that no one will think could bind up the shifter, but it does,,, two trucks here in town were corrected with this simple fix, and another has the problem,, 3 trucks in a town of 1800 with the same problem ????!!!????. There must be many with this problem that guys just ignore,,, thinking it is just how Fords are ????? Two mechanics here did not think that plastic switch,, could cause such a bind, their thought was it was an internal transmission problem,,,, so,, any fix gets put off.

Place transmission in Neutral.
No need to disconnect shifting cable. Disconnect the wiring plug, remove two 8mm cap screws,,, pry off old sensor.

You will probably break the old one taking it off,,,and you need to buff up, and lube the shaft where it slides on.

Before installing new sensor, turn the white sensor collar so the two lines on the white collar and black housing line up [trans in neutral ] then carefully tap or push sensor on shaft.

Reinstall bolts, and plug.

Then be careful not to jerk shifter out of column the first time,, it will really work easy now..... !!!!!!

Transmission Range Sensor

transrangesensor.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea we change dozens of em in the rust state (in in NJ) Usually have to break em off, grind the linkage shaft till smooth and put new 1 on, make sure it starts in park and neutral, and reverse lights come on.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
We run into people breakin the shift shaft in the column, and bolts falling out of the back on the shift shaft, got my 1st sheared out bolts at the back of shifter shaft.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I like to do PM on mine each year as I pull the engine and trans. LMAO In all seriousness though, that was what I figured was wrong with it. sorry it took so long for me to see the thread. Glad Dave got ya taken care of.

Ford Truck Articles