Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Auto lock out hubs?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Do the 07 250's with the turn knob 4x4 and lockouts have an electronicly controlled hub also? :suspicious: My bosses truck the other day had the knob turned and the light was on (which I know doesn't nessasarily mean its in 4x4) it seemed to pull a little till the tourque caught up with it then the backs spun out. We got out and locked the hubs and it pulled right out.
He told me that the dealer told him that he didn't always have to lock in the hubs.?? to me that sounds funny so now I have a bet goin with him! hopefully I'm right or else I owe lunch! LOLsmilieeatndrink

blacksnapon

Staff member
look and see if theres a vacuum line to the top of the knuckle, thats automatic lockers (regardless of what the outside looks like)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'll have to look cause the hubs didn't feel like they "clicked" when i turned them!

ufpddirector2

Certified Ford Tech
Ford hubs with auto position and lock position do not always engage in the auto position during colder weather as we just had, or they might be slow to engage. These are vacumn hubs- when the grease is colder the vacumn may not be able to pull the hubs into the full engagement position. That is why Ford put auto and lock position on hubs.
UFPDdirector2smiliegitrdone

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Do the 07 250's with the turn knob 4x4 and lockouts have an electronicly controlled hub also? :suspicious: My bosses truck the other day had the knob turned and the light was on (which I know doesn't nessasarily mean its in 4x4) it seemed to pull a little till the tourque caught up with it then the backs spun out. We got out and locked the hubs and it pulled right out.
He told me that the dealer told him that he didn't always have to lock in the hubs.?? to me that sounds funny so now I have a bet goin with him! hopefully I'm right or else I owe lunch! LOLsmilieeatndrink

With ESOF the hubs have both "Auto" & "Lock" positions. The "Auto" position is for normal use and locks the wheel to the axle with vacuum actuation automatically when the ESOF switch on the dash is turned to 4wd. If for some reason the "Auto" hubs do not engage (lock) then you can manually lock the wheel to the axle by turning the auto hub to the "Lock" position this works just like manual hubs and is an override feature.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Yep, only way to get the ET down and off the line is with 4WD. smiliepeelout
:D Can't wait until I can fix her back up and get her a set of twins and launch closer to 30-40psi and peak in the 60-80psi range. That should shave a tenth or two off. smiliegitrdone

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
And a good setup it is too. My only real gripe with GM's 4X4 "Instatrac" system is quite simply this: the system requies forwards motion to engage. Soooo..... if you're one of those (you know who you are) who waits until you're actually stuck to engage the 4X4..... you're screwed.

In 1500's, there's another wrinkle. Instatrac comes with a "Automatic" active 4X4 setting in most models. It works great for a normal driver on pavement, but there's clutches inside that transfer case, and hard off-road use will smoke 'em in one outing. The only way to avoid this is to buy a base "work truck" trim. That's the only trim where you can't buy the Z71 "Off Road" package.... who thinks this chitt up anyways?:headbang:

Now if we could just talk Ford into putting a real locking differential on their trucks....

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
And a good setup it is too. My only real gripe with GM's 4X4 "Instatrac" system is quite simply this: the system requies forwards motion to engage. Soooo..... if you're one of those (you know who you are) who waits until you're actually stuck to engage the 4X4..... you're screwed.

In 1500's, there's another wrinkle. Instatrac comes with a "Automatic" active 4X4 setting in most models. It works great for a normal driver on pavement, but there's clutches inside that transfer case, and hard off-road use will smoke 'em in one outing. The only way to avoid this is to buy a base "work truck" trim. That's the only trim where you can't buy the Z71 "Off Road" package.... who thinks this chitt up anyways?:headbang:

Now if we could just talk Ford into putting a real locking differential on their trucks....

You can thank the Marketing department :nutkick: and Soccor moms :slap: for this crap. Most people have 4WD to impress there friends at the weekly cocktail party. None of them know how it works or when to use it in the Grocery store parking lot but hey have it in their truck along with 22-inch spinner wheels and street tires.:headbang:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Speaking of soccer moms- here's a great illustration of the Tundra's Limited Slip in combination with their sophisticated electronic traction control

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk&feature=related

:suspicious:

Yep the GM Gov Lok L/S differential is the best OEM factory L/S on the market by a long shot. Now if they could just build a real 4WD system for their trucks. GM has used this type of L/S for years very successfully and it amazes me that Ford, Dodge and the others cannot seem to figure this simple piece of equipment out.:headbang: FMC builds a hell for stout 4WD system but their L/S sucks.:fan:

Still waiting for the A/M to build either a Selectable Locker or Torsen L/S for the rear axle in the 05 & Newer F350. Currently the only choice is the POS OEM L/S:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles