Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The validation begins!

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Well, after the last little oopsie and setback, things are looking up. Unit is up and running, but there is still work left to be done; range of adjustment for the time to fade-to-off isn't quite satisfactory.

Concept_B_P6.jpg

However, after investing time into reading about a couple of the components in the proto build and comparing them against others +bench test time measuring circuit parameters and studying the effect of them and varying them, it is thought that swapping this salvaged transistor might either solve the concern or at least validate my thoughts and set me in the right direction, namely, find the right transistor. Almost embarrassed to post a pic of this part I salvaged, but hey, ever since Radio Shack blew it with their business model back in the early 80's everything a guy needs for parts is now 5-7 days out or $30 overnight. :(

Concept_B_P7.jpg

More to follow, it's not over until it's over. :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Actually Mark, it's pretty easy to make your own PCB.

Bill....is there not an electronics supplier in Spokcomton?.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
On the PCB......that is on the table once the validation is proven. Randy brought up a decent DYI idea; I think I may look into that when the time comes as it's probably very cost effective. Thanks for the link, I'll still have a lookie and see what they have to offer. :)

As for parts here, I'm not aware of any supplier of significance. Maybe a very watered down selection of select parts like resistors, and the 'Shack has a very limited selection of parts. Because of this, when some electrical device here goes TU and if the components aren't SMT, I now keep the boards as a potential parts source. FWIW, that transistor came off the board inside a Ford (Gentex) auto dim/auto lights on at dark RV mirror.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That kinda surprises me, there are several here with a pile of stock...I would have guessed that the same would be true there.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
That kinda surprises me, there are several here with a pile of stock...I would have guessed that the same would be true there.

Electrical supply house? Maybe I need to get on the phone and whenever I hear "we don't carry that stuff" ask, who does.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Did a quick google, found a guy asking the same ? on an electronic forum and he got about the same answer I mentioned earlier. There supposedly is one place but it looks like they cater to business and even though there is a contact number here, I can't find a physical location. Must make a call. Now if I was in the Seattle area, things would be much different.

Ford Truck Articles