Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Friend in need, again

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ok guys. 05 6.0L rough idle and poor running when cold. Runs great when warmed up. Has redone solder connections in the FICM, didn't have any effect.

What does he check next??

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok guys. 05 6.0L rough idle and poor running when cold. Runs great when warmed up. Has redone solder connections in the FICM, didn't have any effect.

What does he check next??
sounds like classic injector stiction issues. Either reflash or injector replacement. Check no brainer stuff too, like fuel pressure.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
take truck to dealer the night prior... so dealership mechanic can hook up the computer to the truck and check it all out with a cold motor. This is vital when looking for starting issues, injector issues and the like.

Yes, I know what I am talkig about... I replaced all 8 injectors when I had 185,000 miles on my truck... and all is well at 215,000.

I bit the bullet and replaced all 8, even the computer showed I had only 2 or 3 bad ones... I figured since the mechanic was already into it... just replace them all and not worry about it.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
take truck to dealer the night prior... so dealership mechanic can hook up the computer to the truck and check it all out with a cold motor. This is vital when looking for starting issues, injector issues and the like.

Yes, I know what I am talkig about... I replaced all 8 injectors when I had 185,000 miles on my truck... and all is well at 215,000.

I bit the bullet and replaced all 8, even the computer showed I had only 2 or 3 bad ones... I figured since the mechanic was already into it... just replace them all and not worry about it.

Ain't gonna happen Beach. Buddy that is having the issue IS a mechanic. LOL I need to see if he got it fixed yet. I sold him my old stock injectors. All 8 for $1000 credit in his shop. That's alot of oil changes OR, my Yukon has 190,000, so maybe, it will need help soon. It IS a cheby after all. LOL

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ain't gonna happen Beach. Buddy that is having the issue IS a mechanic. LOL I need to see if he got it fixed yet. I sold him my old stock injectors. All 8 for $1000 credit in his shop. That's alot of oil changes OR, my Yukon has 190,000, so maybe, it will need help soon. It IS a cheby after all. LOL

Todd, not wanting to rain on your mechanic friends parade, but if he does not have access to a Ford Dealer computer or own an Auto Enginuity package to analyze and test all the differnet systems both in KOEO & KOER plus pull all codes he is just going to be throwing parts at it. The days of working on modern vehicles without the proper diagnostic equipment is over.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Todd, not wanting to rain on your mechanic friends parade, but if he does not have access to a Ford Dealer computer or own an Auto Enginuity package to analyze and test all the differnet systems both in KOEO & KOER plus pull all codes he is just going to be throwing parts at it. The days of working on modern vehicles without the proper diagnostic equipment is over.

Has Auto Enginuity!

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Has Auto Enginuity!

Well if he has a currently updated AE program he needs to sit down with a factory shop manual and run all of the diagnostic tests listed step by step for the symptoms & codes he has. There are multiple things that can be causing this from bad injectors, low fuel pressure, bad sensors, etc. The AE will run all the injector & sensor tests available. He needs to fix all codes first in their order of priority.
Also just because he re-soldered the FICM does not mean the FICM is performing correctly unless he has thoroughly tested it on a cold engine. The AE program will track & recored the FICM voltages & all the sensor levels from KOEO through engine running. He needs to record and analyze this data as the FICM voltage will fluctuate rapidly during KOEO & engine startup.

If he doesn't have factory service manuals he needs to go to Helm Inc., and purchase them. Also if his AE software has not been kept up to date he needs to subscribe and update his software.

Ford Truck Articles