Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm stumped

I have a 77 f150 with a 351m. Just swapped the intake and carb to the 4 barrel. Now wants its warm is looses power, sputters, and if I floor it it backfires out the carb. I've replaced the coil, put hotter plugs in, I know I have good fuil flow, brand new air filter. I'm letting it warm up before I drive it and I can only go about 5 to 10 miles before it decides to run like crap. I was thinking it might be a cracked distributor but I'm not sure. Any help is apriciated.

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
I would check for vacuum leaks and make sure your choke is functioning properly. When you swapped the intake, did you remove the distributor? if so, double-check your timing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Was the carb a new or used unit?

Have you checked the cap for cracks and rotor condition?

Carb gasket good?

Carb is new, gasket is good. I'm on the side of the highway now replacing my dizzy cap to see if that does anything.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You didn't get any plug wires mixed up?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First thought was vacuum...next thought is if it's sputtering and backfires when you floor it...to much fuel. Float level set too high???

I read something about a ford motor have a different fireing order from the rest. Gonna check that again. After last night smelling the exhaust I think it might be sucking more fuel than it needs. So I wonder if something in the carb is stuck full open. If the wires don't fix it that's what I'm gonna check next.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I would check for a bad coil. It may be breaking down once the engine heats up.
Does it start and act fine after it cools back down?

Just checked to see if the dizzy was 180 out. That's good. The firing order is right, the coil is new, high output, carb is new, but sat in a shed in its original packaging for about a year. I'm thinking the float is stuck and it's squirting too much fuel into the motor, it smells really rich at all times.

I also checked to see if it was trying to drink coolant or oil. It's not, all my vacuums are correct, I used starter spray to see if one of my gaskets are leaking, that's good too.

I'm thinking if the carb doesn't fix the issue next would be something deeper in the dizzy, I'll replace that with an HEI considering I want to do that anyway. And if that's doesn't fix it the only thing I can think of would be my timing belt tensioner is loose and my chain jumped a tooth on the cam.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.
And thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Do you still have the old coil around?
New isnt always "new"
Just for a test, to keep you from chasing ghosts, might be worth a try to change it

I think I found the smoking gun. The pos wire bolting to the coil was sparking between the end of the wire protruding from the connector to the post the the coil. As if the connector wasn't making a good enough connection on the wire. I'm gonna hook it right up to the battery to see if I can the girl home to fix her properly.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Let us know how you make out.

Check and see if the choke flap is returning once she's warmed up

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts