Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

powerband/shift points ford 300-6

now that i got a tach, i'm noticing where i actually shift.

it's a lot lower than expected. it looks like i'm shifting around 1700 rmps. I would have never guessed it was that low. does anyone know where the power band for this engine is?

blacksnapon

Staff member
now that i got a tach, i'm noticing where i actually shift.

it's a lot lower than expected. it looks like i'm shifting around 1700 rmps. I would have never guessed it was that low. does anyone know where the power band for this engine is?
The 300 has, as long as I've known it, had its power down low. After it gets going, it doesnt have anything left.

mine was about 1720.....i had the E40D. the 300 is a tourqe engine..not a speed demon. i loved it. I towed a Porch, fully assembled(not on wheels...skids) with it.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I normally shift around 2200 with mine, but the ratios in my T18 are spaced WAY out. With a M5OD, I remember shifting before 2000 most of the time. If I was REALLY on it I might shift around 2500. There is a sharp drop-off in torque production after 3000 rpms. I've never run one over that except in my truck without overdrive. At 75, it's doing about 3100. Awful fast for a six. Since gas crossed the $3/gal mark I haven't driven it that fast - it costs too much!

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Even with a 4.11 gear ratio I can still shift before 2,000 if I want to. Transmission is an E4.

The 300 makes good power down low. You don't have to rev it up.

265 TQ @ 2,000 RPM
145 HP @ 3,600 RPM

Even with a 4.11 gear ratio I can still shift before 2,000 if I want to. Transmission is an E4.

The 300 makes good power down low. You don't have to rev it up.

265 TQ @ 2,000 RPM
145 HP @ 3,600 RPM

Yeah, if you keep going it poops out around 3200-3500 RPMs. I never shift above 2000 RPMs...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Now I know the 300-6 is a good little engine, but I feel the folks that say they LOOOOOOOVE their 300 or talk reall big about them are kinda like the fat chick that says beauty is only skin deep...to make themselves feel better.

Now I know the 300-6 is a good little engine, but I feel the folks that say they LOOOOOOOVE their 300 or talk reall big about them are kinda like the fat chick that says beauty is only skin deep...to make themselves feel better.

There is alot you can do with a 300-6. My cousin has an 89 4x4 with a 302, and I like the 300 TONS better.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ive only driven one of em and it wasnt for very long till the truck wouldnt start anymore. But it was a good motor seemed to have decent torque cause it chirped the tires cause I reved er up a bit to get goin.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There is alot you can do with a 300-6. My cousin has an 89 4x4 with a 302, and I like the 300 TONS better.

I understand that...I know there is alot that can be done, but geez what kinda money are we talkin. I remember a reputable guy at the other site that spent upwards of 15k on his 300 that he coulda easily spent 5k or less on to get the same results from a SB, BB or a 335. And I know that guy and I had the same power ratings (different rpm range) and I only have 3k into mine. It is what it is and everyone has their preferences and like to be unique in their own way. I guess 300's just aren't my thing and it's kinda funny when guys go on and on about what a monster their stock straight 6 is.

I understand that...I know there is alot that can be done, but geez what kinda money are we talkin. I remember a reputable guy at the other site that spent upwards of 15k on his 300 that he coulda easily spent 5k or less on to get the same results from a SB, BB or a 335. And I know that guy and I had the same power ratings (different rpm range) and I only have 3k into mine. It is what it is and everyone has their preferences and like to be unique in their own way. I guess 300's just aren't my thing and it's kinda funny when guys go on and on about what a monster their stock straight 6 is.

Compared to a stock 302 or 351 it is a monster. More torque than a 302, similar torque to a 351, but much lower on the RPM spectrum. It also gets 17-18 MPG, not like 11-12 MPG.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Compared to a stock 302 or 351 it is a monster. More torque than a 302, similar torque to a 351, but much lower on the RPM spectrum. It also gets 17-18 MPG, not like 11-12 MPG.

Right...I know it's a great DD engine...but lets not polish a turd here...we all know stock sucks. When it's all said and done...it's still a straight 6, and as we all know, there is no replacement for displacement. And for the record...any 302 or 351W I've ever had got 16hwy, 14 city. Shoot my 351M gets 14 hwy and 10-11 city.

Right...I know it's a great DD engine...but lets not polish a turd here...we all know stock sucks. When it's all said and done...it's still a straight 6, and as we all know, there is no replacement for displacement. And for the record...any 302 or 351W I've ever had got 16hwy, 14 city. Shoot my 351M gets 14 hwy and 10-11 city.

Ask Chris, or Ryan, or anyone here with a modern 351. They get 12MPG....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ask Chris, or Ryan, or anyone here with a modern 351. They get 12MPG....

Shoot so much for advancement in technology if a 30 year old design gets the same mpg's and the mid-80's 351W's got better mpg's. Fact of the matter is...it really doesn't matter, people are gonna like what they're gonna like...I happen to not buy into the hype...not dissing the engine and not even saying it has it's place...I just don't buy into the hype of the hardcore 300 lovers.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
While we have a variety of opinions supporting both sides of the never-ending V8 versus I-6 debate...this topic is on the subject of shift points for a stock 300-6...let's keep on that and not let this turn into another "my truck is better than your truck because..." debate. YelloThumbUp

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
-shrug- I wish I had a 460, but my 300 gets it done. I'm not happy with the power. When my tired 300 is in it's power band it's a monster; but the powerband is limited. I wish I had a V8 but I do love my little 300.

Yup, it's a turd, but we all love it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
While we have a variety of opinions supporting both sides of the never-ending V8 versus I-6 debate...this topic is on the subject of shift points for a stock 300-6...let's keep on that and not let this turn into another "my truck is better than your truck because..." debate. YelloThumbUp

No problem...just figured it was a year old, so a little wandering wouldn't hurt too bad.

-shrug- I wish I had a 460, but my 300 gets it done. I'm not happy with the power. When my tired 300 is in it's power band it's a monster; but the powerband is limited. I wish I had a V8 but I do love my little 300.

Yup, it's a turd, but we all love it.

And see...those are realistic comments...so no biggie.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
No problem...just figured it was a year old, so a little wandering wouldn't hurt too bad.
No worries...no problems in here...just a little pre-emptive action to keep it from turning into one of those. :nana:

If ya'll want to have a 300-6 versus (insert your fav engine here), feel free to start a thread on it.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i like them but for daily driving and hauling crap aroung.. not for fast driving and heavy towing.. only driven mine 2 months and i loved it!

ive seen a 300 with changed internals and 12 PSI made 350 Hp and 650 ft/lbs of torque !!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles