Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CJ-4 Synthetic Oil Available

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
For those of you waiting for "API CJ-4 Certified" 5W-40 synthetic motor oil, it is now available from Exxon Mobil.
It is "Mobil Delvac 1 ESP" (Emission System Protection)
http://eolcs.api.org/FindCompanies.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.asp

It has just been rolled out in the last 30 days. Availability is still spotty. It appears that "AV Lubricants" has it available
http://avlube.com/
http://avlube.com/mo1espfom5wc.html

Here is a list of All currently available "API CJ-4 Certified" oil
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServiceCategory.asp?ServiceCategory=CJ-4

Where is the Jeff when we need him

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Where is the Jeff when we need him

I agree, Jeff must be slipping, I would have expected him to be all over this one!!!:rofl:

One thing I noticed that's strange.....I didn't see Scamsoil in the API list.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Wow.... I missed this one!!!

Every now and then I do a "Google" search for 5W-40 CJ4 oil and have seen nothing.

I will check on this later today.

Thanks,

Jeff

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
For right now I may be holding off... why???

Here is a cut and paste from the Mobil website link above..

Applications
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is approved against Daimler Chrysler MB 229.51.

I am not thrilled at their oil is not CAT, Detroit, Int'l, Ford or any other large truck motor manufacture certified!!!

The way I understand this is that they have developed a CJ4 spec'd 5W-40, but it does not meet or exceed the various certifications and testing of the major diesel motor manufactures????

Read any of the 15W-40 CJ4 oil containers or spec sheets and they all show what tests or spec's they meet.

Maybe the oil is good enough for my '03 Excursion, but I am concerned why it ONLY has the mercedes spec listed... and not even Ford, GM or Dodge???

I'll keep looking and searching.... but lets keep looking before we wet our pants over this new oil.

Thanks,

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
For right now I may be holding off... why???

Here is a cut and paste from the Mobil website link above..

Applications
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is approved against Daimler Chrysler MB 229.51.

I am not thrilled at their oil is not CAT, Detroit, Int'l, Ford or any other large truck motor manufacture certified!!!

The way I understand this is that they have developed a CJ4 spec'd 5W-40, but it does not meet or exceed the various certifications and testing of the major diesel motor manufactures????

Read any of the 15W-40 CJ4 oil containers or spec sheets and they all show what tests or spec's they meet.

Maybe the oil is good enough for my '03 Excursion, but I am concerned why it ONLY has the mercedes spec listed... and not even Ford, GM or Dodge???

I'll keep looking and searching.... but lets keep looking before we wet our pants over this new oil.

Thanks,

Yep i read that too Jeff, but i would contact Mobil directly as maybe they have not updated the tech sheet on their website yet, as the MB 229.51 spec has been out alot longer than the CJ-4 spec. Also on the API website the oil is listed as API CJ-4 Certified.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Interesting and it may just have to do with getting the correct labels on the Delvac 1 ESP bottles as the "tech sheet" on their website is dated 11/2006. I am thinking it may just be a labling issue at this point since it is listed on the API website now as CJ-4 certified.

Definitely confusing :headbang:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Jeff,

After reading the link you posted i am more convinced it is a packaging issue as it appears they are putting the Delvac 1 ESP in the Mobil 1 Diesel Truck bottles. Like they did with the earlier Delvac 1 and Mobile 1 Diesel Truck. I think there is some marketing gamesmanship afoot :hammer:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Interesting and it may just have to do with getting the correct labels on the Delvac 1 ESP bottles as the "tech sheet" on their website is dated 11/2006. I am thinking it may just be a labling issue at this point since it is listed on the API website now as CJ-4 certified.

Definitely confusing :headbang:

Looking on-line and some in the Audi diesel forums and the like are wondering as well? Usually Mercedes and VW have simular specs and Mobil's older synthetics show and meet both (or more)... but not this one?

Makes one wonder????

Even though CJ4 spec'd... why is it not "large deisel motor approved"... or is it????

I will be due for an oil change in August and will have to keep looking... I am interested... but too many questions for me right now [confused]

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Looking on-line and some in the Audi diesel forums and the like are wondering as well? Usually Mercedes and VW have simular specs and Mobil's older synthetics show and meet both (or more)... but not this one?

Makes one wonder????

Even though CJ4 spec'd... why is it not "large deisel motor approved"... or is it????

I will be due for an oil change in August and will have to keep looking... I am interested... but too many questions for me right now [confused]

I thought you had an email address or telephone number to one of the Exxon Mobil engineers? If you do i would ask them. Do to the old date on the tech sheet i am thinking they just have not updated the tech sheet.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I thought you had an email address or telephone number to one of the Exxon Mobil engineers? If you do i would ask them. Do to the old date on the tech sheet i am thinking they just have not updated the tech sheet.

Nope... I just call their C/S number like the rest of you and get two different answers depending on who you speak too!!!

My contact is at Racor's oil division.

Sent a PM to a guy at Shell (on their forum board) to ask about Shell's status on upgrading their 5W-40 to synthetic... so we will see what, if anything, I hear. YelloThumbUp

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Nope... I just call their C/S number like the rest of you and get two different answers depending on who you speak too!!!

My contact is at Racor's oil division.

Sent a PM to a guy at Shell (on their forum board) to ask about Shell's status on upgrading their 5W-40 to synthetic... so we will see what, if anything, I hear. YelloThumbUp

And we all know what CS really stands for :headbang:

I guess time will tell. It will be interesting to find out what Shell says.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Sent an email to Shell Oil Company about their plans for a 5W-40 synthetic CJ spec'd oil (an upgrade to their readily available CI4+ that many of us use).

Here is their email reply I received this AM...

Jeff, we plan on introducing Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 around September/October of this year. Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United States of America
1-800-231-6950

Guess this makes sense as it would become available just before the cold winter months when new diesel owners required to use CJ4 would like the cold weather starting benefits of 5W-40 motor oil.

:nana: :beer: YelloThumbUp :wavey:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Cool, good info Jeff. I know you wil find the answers to the synthetic CJ-4 oil availability and keep us informed. :beer:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Cool, good info Jeff. I know you wil find the answers to the synthetic CJ-4 oil availability and keep us informed. :beer:

Yep.... no rest for mew on this topic.

As I write this post I am on hold with Shell's technical department.

Edit... Spoke with the technical department and the CJ4 oil will be in production prior to the launch date to ensure that everything in the "piplines" is the new spec'd oil. They may even use up old bottles showing CI4+, but the bottle may contain CJ4 oil??

Even he did not have any spec sheets or concrete answers, he believes that since the current 5W-40 CI4+ oil carries major diesel motor certifications, that the new oil will as well???

Darn... I am needing to change my oil this week.... so I will have to wait another 5,000 miles before I can get some CJ4 synthetic oil in my rig.
:beer:

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
In the "race to market" of usuall products, they may just be overlooking the obvious. CJ-4 is backwards compatable, so why would the syn version not be backwards compatable? The spec is the spec, end of story. I just wonder if the large manufactuers charge the oil companies for endorsements (approved for use in Caterpillar engines) Only one to approve it would be Cat themselves. Therein might be the problem, in a quick rush to "be the first" they may not have had any time to get enough oil to the MFG's for approval.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Mobil Delvac currently has a full synthetic 5W-40 & a Semi-synthetic 15W-40 API CJ-4 certified oil available.

Mobil "Delvac 1 ESP" 5W-40 and it was just released in August, so availability may be limited.
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0020

www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_5W-40.asp

Mobil also has a synthetic blend "Delvac Elite" 15W-40 that is API CJ-4 Certified.
www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_Elite_15W-40.asp

Note: Petro Canada "Duron" Synthetic & Synthetic blends are made but may not be available in your area.

www.petro-canada.ca/en/productsandservices/447.aspx
www.petro-canada.ca/pdfs/IM8028e.pdf

Here is a list of all the currently available API CJ-4 Certified oils
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServiceCategory.asp?ServiceCategory=CJ-4

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Great post...

I have not had time due to my new job to look into this new info and oils any further.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Great post...

I have not had time due to my new job to look into this new info and oils any further.

Jeff,

When you get a breather go over to BITOG, there are guys posting UOA running 15W-40 CJ-4 dino and it is holding up better than the CI-4+.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Changed my oil yesterday and still had to use CI4+ Rotella-Syn 5W-40.

Have yet to see any CJ4 spec'd oil in a 5W-40 weight... and with the temps into the 20's here in Kansas City.... I like 5W-40 oil for easier starting.

Still no "hit's" on the internet for a CJ4 spec'd 5W-40 oil... except Amsoil... which (I personally) do not call an oil... I call it "a shame"... with "sham marketing".

Thank goodness I drive an '03 so I can still use the CI4+ stuff and Rotella-Syn is readily available at Walmart.

I now have 112,600 miles on my 2003 Excursion... and all is well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts