Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which cam for a 300 Inline 6?

Hi everyone this is my first post. I am planning a rebuild on my old 1975 F-250 Custom. I am going to do a chassis up rebuild to make her look brand new. Going to be using mostly Clifford performance products and I was hoping for your input deciding which cam to use. I am going to use most of the parts from their 6=8 rebuild kit but I am going to use hypereutectic pistons. Zero deck the block then mill .060 off the cylinder head. I am going to use their oversized valves. I'm still deciding on a holley 390 or the 470 truck avenger. Clifford intake and headers. Roller rockers and all the upgraded valvetrain goodies.

I have a borg warner T18 4 speed with granny goose gears. I was going to find a 5 speed to switch to but I decided to keep the good ol T18 and use a gear vendors overdrive. I will be using the truck to pull the boat, to pull my brothers 1992 beast of a mustang to the track, and for all around work (I am getting ready to remodel my parents house and 20 sheets of drywall aren't light), fun tooling around, and tailgating.

Regarding the cam. I'd like to get some more horses out of her but still want some low end grunt. Don't need too much though as I've got the 4.10 rear end and granny low. I don't mind an idle lope but don't want it to sound like she's gonna stall out. I'd think that the clifford 264 hydraulic cam (206 @ .050") 2000-4500 RPM or 272 hydraulic cam (214 @ .050") 2200-5500 RPM would idle well but still give me the performance I want. I'm also thinking about the 270 duration mechanical cam (240 @ .050") 2200-5500 RPM. What do you think about going with a larger 280H or 290H. Do you have any experience or suggestions for cams like these?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
if the kit doesn't come with a camshaft I believe Travis (frankenford) has one he was going to use but never installed into his truck. Your main worry is of course going to be the lift. Welcome to the site, there's a few engine techs that'll drop in. I'd also like to see pics of your engine build.

You can pick the camshaft. I am leaning towards the 264H or 272H. I think i'd switch to mechanical cam with anything very high as hydraulic lifters can float at high rpms

You can pick the camshaft. I am leaning towards the 264H or 272H. I think i'd switch to mechanical cam with anything very high as hydraulic lifters can float at high rpms

How high on the RPMs are you gonna go with a 300? I rarely go over 3000 RPM...

especialy since he is putting a 4 barrel intake on too it will change the curve a lot...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yup ive got a Cam i never installed on my truck(main issue was it was for a Carbed I6 and not really for a fuel injected one like mine) its a Comp Cams 260H-10. brand new in the box and i also have the hydraulic lifters for it as well. let me know if your interested

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...uct_Code=66-237-4&Category_Code=Ford466240300

"HYDRAULIC: Excellent torque and power for towing in 300 c.i. Smooth idle."

oh and welcome to the site!!

Yeah well you can put a cam on that's sick and all of sudden you have RPM's up the wazoo and no more torque down low. It'll also sound pretty tricked out. I guess I was just curious if anyone had a cam profile similar to any of the one's i mentioned and how they sounded/performed. I think I'm going to stay down load in the 5000 - 5500 rpm range with a 264 or 270. I heard this one on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgYd2u79NU

The engine is pretty much the same as mine. That's about as much lope as I'd tolerate. I'm still planning the rebuild on that truck. I need to save up for it. I just passed my boards and I'm working as an R.N. Just got hired in the Emergency Room at a hospital in Miami and orientation is this Monday. I've been working as a tech in the Nursing float pool drawing blood and stuff but not much pay so now I'll have some cashola to play with soon since I've got my license now. It'll be a while but, I'll let you know if I want to buy your cam if you still have it. How much?

Hey flareside when you say my biggest worry is going to be the lift are you referring to lifters, or suspension?

Ford Truck Articles