Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

08 Superduty problem-6.4

Guys, I'm new to the forum and we love our truck. However, I was motivated to join the forum for some answers and some advice concerning what Ford has done since we purchased it in Oct of 08.
After a factory upgrade late spring of this year, we noticed a change in power/response at lower rpm's (below 2300 rpm). We've had it to the dealer approx 4 times on that issue. After the 2nd visit, they admitted to a change in performance but were unable to determine why.
We tow a 26' car trailer with a classic car inside quite regualarly. Whether w/o the trailer or with--The truck performance is pathetically flat until you hit 2300 rpm, then it comes alive. That presents a safety issue in traffic and also towing a trailer. This was an instant change following one of the "upgrades".
We originally purchased this truck because it met the performance specs we wanted. However, we have been a loyal Ford trk fan for many years and have purchased several.
My issue; My dealer did get the factory tech out after installing an onboard computer to log the engine data during an 800 mile trip w/trlr. During that session it was discovered that Ford essentially detuned the 6.4 during one of the eng upgrades. The detune was done because of a concern by Ford over potential drivetrain problems caused by the low end torque. Unkown by the dealer in this so called upgrade.
I purchased this truck based on it's performance at purchase--Ford has changed that under the guise of an upgrade w/o my consent--it is not the trk I bought.
My dealer provided an 800# and bottom line Ford said tough-learn to live with it. I'm not willing to accept that. Where can I go to try to get satisfaction and my truck performance back?
Thanks for any help or input. Cap

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Sorry to hear that, why was the reflash done, was it part of the recall ? I can honestly say I haven't had any complaints about power after a reflash on a 6.4, where are you located? I've had complaints of lacking power but it was from something else. My only suggestion there is if the lack of power is a result of the reflash look into a programmer and you'll be able to tune it to your liking I just don't recomend cranking it up to max power and hammering it because it won't last. I don't always agree with what Ford does but we have no control over it . Sorry I couldn't be better help here.

Dave- I knew of one upgrade that we recieved labeled as a recall from Ford. It mentioned 2 injectors I think. In visiting with the diesel tech at the dealership---after the Factory Tech was there yesterday--Our dealer Tech told me there was another one performed when the truck was taken in for service a couple of months back. He says the dealer doesn't always know EVERYTHING that constitutes an upgrade....just directed to install it.
We are located in Central Kansas. I don't want to purchase a programmer as it will void my warranty and we only have 17,000 miles on the truck. The dealer tells me that w/todays eng computer it will show if an aftermarket program has ever been loaded---even though you may switch it back before going back in for a warranty claim.
Besides, that's not addressing the issue. I want the performance back that I purchased. I may never win with Ford on this issue, but it won't be for not trying----HARD. If it's not handled properly, I'm sad to say it's my last Ford---and my companys last Ford.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The only thing I can add to Dave's advice is that the 08 and 09 6.4 diesel is the most sophisticated and complex diesel out there. Many times a simple reflash can magnify a previously minor issue. The issue isn't so much the reflash, as it is the un-noticed previous problem. To find it, it takes diligence and patience on the techs part, monitoring reference values at several different speeds, loads, rpm ranges, and temperatures. Unfortunately, there usually isn't a chance for the tech to do it. With scheduling "Dont spend much time on this one, I have 4 trucks waiting for you!", or the poor pay schedules. I'm not defending some of these reasons, just making you aware of the reality. Be aware that these issues are present at GM and Chrysler dealerships as well. Providing your dealership with information (Does it run poorly cold, or hot? Does it run better after a fillup or lower fuel ranges?) Change fuel stations and see if your power returns (and yes it makes a difference)

Thank you for the input. The local dealer tech had and drove my truck for 2 solid days on at least 3 occasions. The Factory Tech came in and they both devoted 1 whole day driving and analizing. The fact is that is was a change that was recognized after the upgrade. As far as fuel source---We have made 3 trips in the past 45 days that were at least 900 miles round trip. Therefore there has not been a constant fuel source involved.
Basic facts are;
1. It does not perform like the truck I bought.
2. The Factory Tech informed local tech that through the upgrade, Ford detuned trucks because of a concern with potential drivetrain problems. They were fearful it developed too much torque.
3. Ford has modified our truck to something other than what I purchased--w/o my consent.
4. Ford has taken the stance-your truck operates within normal parameters there is nothing we can do. Even though the local tech verifies that the truck is not performing as it did.
I am exploring ways to take it to a higher authority for resolution. By patronizing me and blowing me off, they only make me more determined to push forward.
I just thought others could be experiencing the change that I am.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thank you for the input. The local dealer tech had and drove my truck for 2 solid days on at least 3 occasions. The Factory Tech came in and they both devoted 1 whole day driving and analizing. The fact is that is was a change that was recognized after the upgrade. As far as fuel source---We have made 3 trips in the past 45 days that were at least 900 miles round trip. Therefore there has not been a constant fuel source involved.
Basic facts are;
1. It does not perform like the truck I bought.
2. The Factory Tech informed local tech that through the upgrade, Ford detuned trucks because of a concern with potential drivetrain problems. They were fearful it developed too much torque.
3. Ford has modified our truck to something other than what I purchased--w/o my consent.
4. Ford has taken the stance-your truck operates within normal parameters there is nothing we can do. Even though the local tech verifies that the truck is not performing as it did.
I am exploring ways to take it to a higher authority for resolution. By patronizing me and blowing me off, they only make me more determined to push forward.
I just thought others could be experiencing the change that I am.
I feel that there is something wrong with your truck. The vehicles I've reflashed and done work to don't have the issues you've spoken of. Issue #2, Ford DID NOT detune trucks because of potential drivetrain issues. The drivetrain that is there can handle much more power than a stock truck can hand out. Something is wrong, its not a Ford corporate issue in my opinion, its a dealership issue, or (with all due respect) a customer perception issue, meaning not that you are mistaken, but is the power coming on at a different range and your perception is a power loss?

blacksnapon- Thanks for hanging with me on this.
I have considered that I may be getting fed wrong info from the dealer which is one reason for me to post, in an effort to explore real-world experiences. But with the dealer tech and the factory tech giving the line, where do I go for authenticity? I just know something is not what it was today vs. what it was 5000-8000 miles ago. (The truck has 19,000 miles.)
Early on the tires would almost break loose from a standing start. (Not that it's how it's normally driven). At this point performance is flat until the tach hits 2300 rpm, then the truck comes alive. Almost as if "a shot of nitous". But the techs have told me there are no codes, but went with the detune explanation. The current power response issue is almost dangerous in a heavy traffic situation or when merging in a "yield" situation. It also makes pulling a trailer in those lower rpm ranges quite dissapointing.
I posted to see if owners had recently experienced such a change, based on what the dealer tech and factory tech told me. Obviously no one is experienceing this, so I plan to push forth. My dealer tells me that by calling the Ford 800# a claim will come back to the dealer from Ford and then I will have opportunity to take my concern to a higher level. Don't know if that's bunk or not, but I'll see how the process unfolds. Whatever the case, I intend to just keep taking it back after each dealer episode until something is resolved. Maybe they'll get sick of me taking up space and do something about it.????
Thanks for your efforts and your patience. I'm really not a crank and overall, we love our Super Duty. Cap

blacksnapon- Thanks for hanging with me on this.
I have considered that I may be getting fed wrong info from the dealer which is one reason for me to post, in an effort to explore real-world experiences. But with the dealer tech and the factory tech giving the line, where do I go for authenticity? I just know something is not what it was today vs. what it was 5000-8000 miles ago. (The truck has 19,000 miles.)
Early on the tires would almost break loose from a standing start. (Not that it's how it's normally driven). At this point performance is flat until the tach hits 2300 rpm, then the truck comes alive. Almost as if "a shot of nitous". But the techs have told me there are no codes, but went with the detune explanation. The current power response issue is almost dangerous in a heavy traffic situation or when merging in a "yield" situation. It also makes pulling a trailer in those lower rpm ranges quite dissapointing.
I posted to see if owners had recently experienced such a change, based on what the dealer tech and factory tech told me. Obviously no one is experienceing this, so I plan to push forth. My dealer tells me that by calling the Ford 800# a claim will come back to the dealer from Ford and then I will have opportunity to take my concern to a higher level. Don't know if that's bunk or not, but I'll see how the process unfolds. Whatever the case, I intend to just keep taking it back after each dealer episode until something is resolved. Maybe they'll get sick of me taking up space and do something about it.????
Thanks for your efforts and your patience. I'm really not a crank and overall, we love our Super Duty. Cap

You should consiter looking at a tuner for it. You will really wake up that truck. With a tuner (spartan is the best for 6.4) you will not only boost power by up to and over 300rwhp but also add as much as 8mpg. (there are lower HP settings too, they all add power and milage). And dont think that the truck cant handle it (it can easly! and yes the transmission can easly handle that power even when towing)... You can easly make your truck a perfect Daily driver with 400hp to kick and get 20mpg+. (which im betting is alot better then what your getting now).

Give these guys a email with your situation, they will work something great out for you.
http://www.spartandieseltech.com/forum/index.php

An update to my original post....now a year later..the dealer threw up their hands and blew me off and so much as said I don't have a problem, that it's within acceptable parameters.
The trucks performance has deteriorated to the point it regenerates every 38 miles "cleaning exhaust filter". The milage pulling a 26' enclosed traior is 7.8 mpg and it's a dog.
I visited with the tech this week relaying current performance. They had originally told me regen every 100 to 900 miles was acceptable, but 38 miles helps define that there is something definitely wrong and will get action.
I have not done a program, but will....IF the dealer will tell me it won't void the warranty. Trk has 45k miles on it.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
FYI- Blacksnapon is at Sellers-Sexton Ford:

PO Box 1180
341 VFW Memorial Dr, Saint Robert / Ft Leonardwood, MO 65584

IMO- He's a freakin' diesel genius!

This dealership is near the Lake of the Ozarks. Great place for a vacation while he's fixing your truck RIGHT. :)

I just baught I 2010 f350 harley and I noticed that is has no power at low rpm's this is my first diesel and I do not tow or carry anything just a daily driver anyone have some input on what i can do for more power at lower rpm's? I didnt call the dealer yet cause im not sure if it is a problem or just common for a 6.4

dpas 1973....at no load ours gets about 10.4 mpg but w/ a loaded 26' enclosed car trailer ours gets about 7.8 mpg.
As far as the flat response, before the first dealer flash, it was strong at all rpm's...after the first dealer flash, it's dead until about 2000 rpm, then is great. After a year, I'm still livid that Ford took away my power. What astonishes me more, the dealer, by his inactions, doesn't appear to care.

I used a friends 08 Duramax w/ 26 enclosed trailer (loaded) just 2 weeks ago and the power and milage is a country mile better...no comparison.
A recent developement...Ford had told me last year that regeneration was acceptable within the range of every 100 to 900 miles. A year ago ours regen'd every 120 miles. Within the last 45 days, its moved to regenerating every 37 miles. It's now back at the dealer to address this issue.

I have to say, at purchase, I was very proud of the truck..but the way Ford has treated my situation, it will be my last Ford vehicle and the company I own/manage will no longer consider purchasing a Ford.

Ford Truck Articles